Steroid shots!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by mholmes07, Aug 20, 2009.

1. mholmes07

mholmes07 Well-Known Member

My cervix is still long and closed but both my OB and Peri want me to have these as a precaution, just incase I happen to go early. They said theres no data supporting if the shots works for twins, but the benefits outweigh the risks. If anyone had these, how were they and why did you need them?

2. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I got them. I live in a small town with no infant respirators, yes, none. The nearest NICU was about 3 hours away. At 31 weeks there were no indications that I would go early, but they did come at 35 weeks 5 days and they need not need any NICU time. We can't say for certain that the shots helped. But there is also no evidence that they hurt my twins.

3. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I got them at 28wks when my cervix was shortening. My boys still had breathing issues born at 34wks but they also had wimpy white boy syndrome and took longer out growing everything!! I have to say...they didn't hurt and the fact that it could benefit at all was enough for me. It doesn't do any harm!

4. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I got them at 24w when my cervix drastically shortened and I started to dilate all of a sudden. Emilie was born 10 days after I got them and was only on a vent for 4 days (at 25w3d), Trevor was born 20 days after my steroid shots and never went on a vent at 26w6d. I truly believe the steroid shots helped. And they never had any breathing or lung issues while in the NICU and still don't. The shots weren't too bad, IMO.

5. Surrodoula

Surrodoula Well-Known Member

I just got them 2 weeks ago when I went in with frequent BH contractions. When they gave me the first shot, it was more of a precaution, but by the time i got the second shot 24 hours later, I'd had an ultrasound, and they knew my cervix had shorted drastically (4 mm). I thankfully haven't given birth yet, so I can't comment yet on how the babies have done with them. They didn't hurt any more than any other shot in the butt!

6. becky5

becky5 Guest

I got them at 33 weeks when I went into PTL. The first shot didn't hurt at all, but the 2nd one stung quite a bit. There are 2, 24 hours apart. I think I remember feeling really hot after getting them. I had my babies at 37 weeks, and they didn't require any assistance with breathing.

I had Hannah(2nd child) at 35 weeks(my water broke), and did not get the steroids, and she was on a vent for about 12 hours, and had lots of breathing issues, NICU for 10 days. Personally, I would get the shots, especially with twins, since the risk of PTL is so much higher.

7. mholmes07

mholmes07 Well-Known Member

I appreciate the feedback..Im definitely going to get them, I would not risk it especially since theres no risk to my boys. I just thought you only got them if your cervix was shortening but I guess they just wana be safe incase I should go early.

8. fahrenheit79

fahrenheit79 Well-Known Member

I went on PTL at 22w3d, so I was given the shots for fear of delivering early. I was dilated and having contractions. I got the shots twice. Once at 23w and again at 28w. It is rare to do so, bt my Dr said that the effects wear off after 4w, so she wanted to just sneak another round in there. As PPs have said, it's 2 shots given 24 hrs apart. It stung when the medication went in the muscle, and it felt like someone (or better yet a horse) had kicked me in the rear. LOL. Oh yeah, I got the shots in my rear cheeks (one on each). I'm glad you're getting them, just in case.

9. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I got them at 24 weeks, and I strongly believe they helped my girls tremendously! I say, if you have the opportunity to get them you definitely should! It never hurts to be over cautious, especially when things can change very quickly with a twin pregnancy. Best of luck to you!!

10. Jocasta

Jocasta Well-Known Member

I had three rounds - 26, 28 and 30 weeks - in case my girls needed to be delivered in an emergency. My girls were born at 32 weeks and only needed cpap for a day. I didn't mind the shots but they made me manic and I wasn't able to sleep afterwards.

11. vachi73

vachi73 Member

Hi there!

I asked my peri about steroid shots at my appt this week, when I was 24w 5d. I have no cervical shortening (hanging absolutely steady at 3.7 cm, no funneling w/ pressure) or PTL issues as yet, but did have a ton of bleeding at 13 weeks w/ a HUGE SCH. The SCH -- well, really the residual blood in the uterus, as I spotted from 12.5 weeks to 19 weeks) - puts me at risk for pPROM or PROM (though no one knows what the risk actually *is* statistically ... so ???)

Anyway -- what he said was that he is "60/40 for the shots." His rationale is that, in the unlikely event that I deliver "suddenly", it can be devastating for the babies NOT to have had the steroids. There are no studies that have shown any risks to the babies or mom, so although there are always "unknown risks," there aren't any real, measured, known risks in this scenario. He said that older ANIMAL studies with multiple doses of the steroids did show some issues with brain development, but that those results had never been replicated/shown in human studies, nor at the recommended dosages/frequency. I have not researched this myself, so I trust him on this for now :) He wants me to discuss w/ my regular OB (who will prob do the actual delivery) and then the bunch of us will agree to a plan at some point.

In the event that we were super-non-interventional (e.g., we refused all vaccines, etc.), he might not recommend them (this didn't make rational sense to me ... wouldn't his "recommendation" be the same, but maybe the outcome different? I digress) as strongly.

He did also say that, if I did rupture, but didn't deliver immediately (e.g., if I were in the hospital for 48+ hours before either baby delivered) they would give me the steroids then, and that would be beneficial to the babies at birth. And it sounded like it wouldn't be a "choice" then -- it would just be indicated by the PROM.

So, overall, I would say that my peri is positive about the steroid shots, and that it's more an issue of timing for us than a yes/no.

I haven't had the shots, but I can't imagine they can be more than 48-72 hours of discomfort to me ??? maybe I'm wrong on that, though. At any rate, if that's what the doctors think is the best for the babies, sign me up :)

12. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Same here. I got them at 31 weeks.

13. oh-baby-baby

oh-baby-baby Well-Known Member

I got the shots at 24weeks on the nose. I was in the hospital from 23w 4d due to pre-e. They wouldn't give them to me before then because as the neonatologist said to me "they do not attempt to revive babies before 24weeks" <_< . I delivered at 34 weeks on the nose and neither one of my babies needed anything, they were breathing room air. Now two weeks later another woman delivered at 34 weeks and her babies were bigger than mine and she had girls as well but did not recieve the shots and her babies were on the vent. I highly recommend them. Hope this helps!

14. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I got the shots at 28 weeks due to a shortened cervix... I then cut way back on activity and my cervix has leveled out. I don't think I've ever had a contraction (sometimes get a little twinge of pain, but then, it could be baby A's foot slamming into my cervix... I don't know) and haven't been dilated. :p

I do hope they work as NICU time is something that scares the pants off me- seems to make BF pretty hard (their abilities and such).

Michelle

[​IMG]

15. hemmymomma

hemmymomma Active Member

I have been really curious about this lately. What if your dr. doesn't offer the steroid shots as a precaution, would it be ok to request it if everything has been going smoothly ? At what point would they give the shot as a precaution ? Do you think my dr would even do it at request ?

16. kristenlee5

kristenlee5 Well-Known Member

I had them when I went into PTL at 29 weeks.b

17. roadtocalvary

roadtocalvary Well-Known Member

Well I believe with all my heart that the steroid shots helped my baby girls that were born at 29weeks and 2 days gestation. My water broke on Saturday night and I got the first shot then and I was able to hold on another day so I got the second shot Sunday night. I then held onto the twins till Tuesday morning. My girls were born on the vents and on the 2nd day they went on the cannulas and by Easter Sunday (2days later) they were breathing completly on their own, room air! I am so thankful we were able to get the steroid shots. I can tell you when I first joined Twinstuff I thought that stuff will never happen to me, or poor people their babies were born so early..but I am now in those shoes and am so thankful for the opinions and information on this site. It helped alot to be able to go back to what I read. It also helped prepare me for things I went thru.

18. talivstouwe

talivstouwe Well-Known Member

I had them at 24 weeks when I was admitted to the hospital. We knew our boys would be early, due to their mono/mono status and already tangled cords, so the first day I checked in my peris had me given the shots.

My boys were born at 31 weeks 6 days and did amazingly. :) CPAP only, no ventilators. The shots stung like crazy but were definitely worth it - even if only for peace of mind. I knew I had taken an important step in protecting them if they were born earlier than we had scheduled (32 weeks).