sticker charts

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by greymom, Apr 10, 2008.

1. greymom

greymom Well-Known Member

The boys have been sitting on the potty (and really enjoying themselves) for about 2 weeks now. Now Coleman is actually starting to tinkle in it ( :good: ) so I think I should set up a sticker chart. I'm thinking once they fill up the chart, they get to have a toy.

Not sure how to do it, though. How many squares do you put on the chart? And do they get one sticker a day, or a sticker every time they go? He was on and off the potty for about a half hour today and peed about 4 times, so it seems a bit overboard to give him 4 stickers.

Also, is it time to switch to pull-ups? So far, we aren't pushing the training - we just let them sit on the potty when they ask (which is maybe once a day). Often, if I ask if they want to sit on it they say "No!!", so I just let them tell me if they want to sit on it. Since we are just sort of experimenting, should I still keep them in diapers? Seems counterproductive.

This PT stuff is so confusing. I don't want to screw up!!! :wacko:

Michelle

2. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

I did stickers with my first two. They got a sticker everytime they went. That was enough reward, they didn't need to get something "bigger". It's just fun to put the sticker on! Also, I say if he really went that many times today, take the diaper off and give it a shot!

3. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Michelle, I don't know the answers! Clearly I am learning this by trial and error.

I will tell you that the sticker chart doesn't have to be elaborate and they actually sell some at BRU (Sesame). I would think LONG and hard about bigger rewards. My kids are SO tortured by the toys they don't have yet because they haven't EARNED them. They LOVE the EARN, but they are tortured by it till it happens. I have no problem with giving them a little sweet for tinkles, but maybe have a limited toy earning. I am stuck now!!!

We are using training pants (thick cotton made out of cloth diaper material) and going naked. That's what's sorta working for us now. But I am a shut in right now because we are going for it. At the end of this weekend, I expect us to be DONE with diapers and I will still use a pull up at night for a while. I'll tackle that at a separate time!

Good luck!! :hug99:

4. billandginastwins1

billandginastwins1 Well-Known Member

Here are the ones that we used.

http://childavenue.com/pages/family_corner...printables.html

You can print them right from the internet. I printed a bunch and hung on fridge. Bella used the sticker chart more. Cam was just geting used to going then, so we let him use it too. We let them put a sticker on the chart everytime they went.

5. egoury

egoury Well-Known Member

We used it for Rachel. We bought a poster board and just made our own. She got one for everytime she peed and two for everytime she pooped. I went to the dollar store and got a bunch of junk. When she got to 10 stickers, she got to pick out a present. She liked this and trained really quickly so we had to change the rules and switched it to one sticker a day and then at the end of the week, she could choose a present. We set up another chart for Danielle and gave her stickers for being "good" since we didn't want her to feel left out and she was already trained. After a while, we only gave stickers when they remembered to ask and then just took the chart away one day and they never asked about it.

6. greymom

greymom Well-Known Member

Thanks for your advice ladies!!

I started with the sticker charts (the train chart ABCKids linked - very cute!), but I think they are sort of backfiring. I bought a bunch of Thomas reward stickers (they are obsessed with Thomas). I started giving them a sticker every time they peed on the potty, but they were being so cranky and nasty about it. They didn't like the sticker I'd give them ("No! Want the Gordon sticker!!"). So I let them pick their own out, but they'd scream if I wouldn't let them take more than one sticker. Then, they refuse to put them on the charts ("No like chart!!!") and when I finally get them on the chart, they peel them off. It's just ridiculous!! Why are my kids so darn uncooperative?! :umm:

They seem to be doing better with verbal praise, so I guess for now I'll just stick with that. I thought all kids liked sticker charts. What the heck??!

Michelle

7. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(greymom @ Apr 16 2008, 07:56 AM) [snapback]724057[/snapback]
    Thanks for your advice ladies!!

I started with the sticker charts (the train chart ABCKids linked - very cute!), but I think they are sort of backfiring. I bought a bunch of Thomas reward stickers (they are obsessed with Thomas). I started giving them a sticker every time they peed on the potty, but they were being so cranky and nasty about it. They didn't like the sticker I'd give them ("No! Want the Gordon sticker!!"). So I let them pick their own out, but they'd scream if I wouldn't let them take more than one sticker. Then, they refuse to put them on the charts ("No like chart!!!") and when I finally get them on the chart, they peel them off. It's just ridiculous!! Why are my kids so darn uncooperative?! :umm:

They seem to be doing better with verbal praise, so I guess for now I'll just stick with that. I thought all kids liked sticker charts. What the heck??!

Michelle

Michelle, I opted for the plain star stickers for that reason. I didn't want an all out fight over the stickers. I plan on using the same thing when Ryan is ready to potty train.

8. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

You don't have to do a sticker chart. We would just clap and jump up and down for success. When we got close to the end with Jon, at the suggestion of his teacher, we put a large gift in the bathroom, but out of reach. When he finally pooped, he would get the gift. That was the extent of prizes here. Also, once they were in underpants all day without accidents, Grandma took them to TRU to pick something out :)