Stickers as a reward..dumb question

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by akameme, Jun 12, 2009.

1. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We are working on potty training Becca and she loves stickers.

When you give your kids stickers, do they put the stickers somewhere? Do they just play with them for five minutes and then forget about them? How do you handle it with the other twin who is not potty training?

Just looking for some suggestions on how to handle the sticker reward system (my husband does not want to use food).

2. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

When Claire got stickers, I had her put them on the potty. It was a closing one, and she stuck them on the inside of the lid. With Izzy, we used a big piece of colored tagboard to decorate. Stickers were great for those two! Good luck :good:

3. Lisa R

Lisa R Well-Known Member

Never a dumb question!!!

We actually bought a huge poster board, wrote the kids names on the top with a line down the middle and let them color their side of the poster. We then hung the poster on their bedroom door. They were able to stick the stickers to their poster whenever they earned a sticker. They got to pick out stickers for their side. It was a huge success!!!

Good luck with potty training.

4. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Great question! I was thinking of using stickers too. I like the tag board idea hung on their bedroom door. I think I might 'steal' that one!

5. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Thank you - now what is a tagboard???

ugh, i suck at arts and crafts!

6. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Like a big piece of construction paper except its a bit more sturdy.

7. Lisa R

Lisa R Well-Known Member

I'm not great at arts and crafts either. I was in CVS in the school supply aisle and they have the display of giant pieces of cardboard. They cost about $1 each so I grabbed a bright yellow one and said "wow, this will be fun to color" and then I realized I could make it useful too!!

Good luck and have fun.

8. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

We used nickels! They went in their bank! :D

I'd get a big piece of tagboard or something similar. GOod luck!

9. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

I had a big poster board that we hung on the back of their bedroom door that I decotated with their names and things they like. They would stick the stickers on there. We also had a sticker chart at one point to where they would stick the them.

10. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We gave M&Ms for potty training, but we currently hand out stickers as part of our good behavior reward system. Amy will take an entire sheet of stickers and just stick them all on a piece of paper. Since we don't have much free time at home on school days (they're in daycare all day), it usually takes her a day or two to get through a whole sheet.

She never really does anything with the paper after that (except sometimes she makes "notes" to give to her friends at school), and it seems like kind of a waste to me -- but she clearly really loves the process. And it keeps her occupied for quite a while, for a cost of only $1 per sheet or whatever.

11. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Mine had a chart. If you google free potty training charts you'll find one. So they put them on paper. Mine are very into sticking stickers to paper anyways.

12. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I went to the Parent/Teacher store and got a sticker chart and let mine put them on the chart. Once they filled up their chart then I took them to the store and they got to pick out their own pack of panties.

13. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

tag board = posterboard :)

14. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

We just started sticker charts last week for chores. Getting dressed, brush hair, pick up toys, clearing dishes, brush teeth, etc. They love it so much, I'm thinking of making another for ds for PT! Now, dd is already fully pt'd, so she won't get one.....but I think since she's got one for chores, it'll be ok.

I just got some colorful posterboards (they were at Target in the office supply section by the yard sale signs) , made the chart with a fat Sharpie & ruler. They love it! Then, when the chart is full they get to go to the Dollar Store & pick something out.

15. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

Glad you asked this -- good info to have. Nadia gets stickers at school, and puts them on her clothes...which I hate, because I forget to take them off before putting them in the laundry, and it makes a mess. So, I'd vote for paper or on some sort of chart.

We did M&M's for potty training, but not for more than a week. A friend of mine did whole-grain Goldfish crackers, and those were just as big a hit with her boys, because they never got them otherwise. Not sure yet what we'll use with K&K -- now I'm debating whether stickers might work.

I've never heard "tag board" for posterboard -- must be another of those regional things!

16. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

I'm not a big food reward person either.

I made a "sticker chart" that consisted of a piece of paper with a grid on it. Everytime they used the potty, they got to pick a colored star adn put in one of the squares. Personally, I'm not sure what the attraction is, seems boring to me but my kids love it. :umm: