Still preggo with the twins, but wondering...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Sunny, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Sunny

Sunny Well-Known Member

My singleton pregnancy with my toddler was textbook -- not one problem and he was born exactly at 40 weeks after spontaneous labor.

My twin pregnancy is MUCH more challenging. Early spotting, shortening cervix, a minor bleeding episode. I have been on complete bedrest due to that short cervix since 25 weeks and will stay this way until whenever I deliver (I'm 29.5 weeks now). Oh, and some gestational diabetes thrown in, just for fun!

I will probably change my mind after I have three kiddos under the age of three :drown: but I curious about what would happen if we got pregnant with another singleton. (Our twins are due to IF treatments, and I'm toying with the idea of delaying DH's "snip snip" and seeing if we can have one more on our own...)

Has anyone with a shortening cervix with twins had a subsequent singleton pregnancy without that complication? I'm worried that my cervix is ruined forever, and I wouldn't want to do complete bedrest for three months with three young children.

2. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have not had my u/s for this baby yet (had to reschedule to 2/24) but I asked the Dr what the chances were of having the same problems...he said 1-3%. Good enough answer for me:) Having had a singleton you know how much harder twins are to carry. I'm amazed all the time at how "squishy" my belly is...it seems as big as with the twins just much more squishy and comfortable. I've not had any issues and honestly don't really plan on them. I don't know if they are going to double check my cervix length or if it is a good length at my next appt (u/s) leave it at that. We only get 1 u/s here unless your high risk like twins:)

3. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

I did not have complications with my twins, but I had a normal singleton pregnancy prior to the twins and a mostly normal singleton pregnancy after the twins...and a totally normal singleton pregnancy after that one! My only issue with my last singleton pregnancy was bleeding and concerns over the placenta, so not issues over my cervix. As far as the pregnancies go...yes the singletons were much easier than the twin! And if you have any question at all, by all means delay the snip, snip!! It's not like you can't get it done a year or so from now if you change your mind and don't want more. But I've known too many people who get it done immediately and later regret it. I myself am fairly convinced we are 'done', but we both know dh isn't going to get anything permanent done about it for at least a year... Just makes more sense to give yourself time since it's such a big decision, rather than looking back and feeling like it was rushed and with regret.

4. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

I did develop pre-e with the twins (first pregnancy) but no cervical issues. My 2 subsequent singleton pregnancies were very normal and "easy".

5. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

My twin pregnancy was fairly uncomplicated--my cervix never dilated or effaced, but that was really it.

This pregnancy is easier so far; the only tough thing is chasing two wild 1.5 year olds around. :)

6. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

I was on bedrest with my twins for 5 weeks due to dilation/effacement, but I carried my almost 9 pound singleton to 41w1d. As PP said the hardest part is chasing two toddlers, and dealing with morning sickness while changing poopy diapers- eww.

7. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

For me my twin pregnancy wasn't bad. I had no issues and delivered via sched. c-section at 38 weeks (I was in labor but didn't know it). I had a good singleton (well, started out as twins) pregnancy afterwards but did have a yeast infection every month throughout. :angry: He stayed in until my due date. I am older and with the twins running around, I was more tired during my singleton pregnancy. With my twin pregnancy I was able to sleep when I wanted to. I did also work 45 hours a week during my twin pregnancy. HTH!