Stinky Baby Farts

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by pittmane, Sep 12, 2009.

1. pittmane

pittmane Well-Known Member

One of my boys has recently been farting A LOT! In a half-joking way, my DH and I now say that we can tell which one is which by smelling him! The gas doesn't really seem to bother him - he isn't fussy or anything, but man, do they ever reek and he does it all day and all night long. He's also gone to having just one gigantic BM every day (though doesn't seem to strain at other times). He's just 4 weeks old - is this something that will go away? Both boys are predominantly breast-fed, with 2 formula feedings per day. I'll add that after the stinky farting started, I did switch to a different formula (from Enfamil Premium to Good Start Gentle Plus), but it's only be a couple of days since he's been on that formula so I don't know if it's making a difference or not. Mylicon doesn't seem to do anything - he gets it after every feeding. I'm very careful to avoid gas-causing foods like broccoli, cabbage, etc. His brother isn't having the same issues at all - poops more frequently and only occasionally has gas. They both go to the doctor for their one-month check up on Tuesday, so we'll ask her, too. Any thoughts?

2. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hmmm, it's probably just the way his body reacts to the formula. As long as he's happy & doesn't seem to be in any pain, I would check with the doctor when at the next visit but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

3. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would say its the formula...Jack had a hard time adjusting to it as well and had some pretty foul smelling toots! JT was fine...the Dr explained that our bodies all have different types of bacteria in our digestive tracts so that is why his smelled so much worse.

4. nycmomma

nycmomma Well-Known Member

My son Ryan had horrible gas and was in a lot of pain because of it. Ends up that he was sensitive to milk products and I had to go dairy free until he was 4 months old (I was BFing). When I supplemented I gave him Alimentum. Now that he's 6 months old I've weaned completely and they both eat generic Gentle formula.

The other thing that helped both boys when they had gas was to do "crunches" and basically fold their legs into their bellies to push the gas out for them. It's modification of the "bicycling" trick, the crunches worked better for us. It was my favorite baby game for a long time, now they can fart on their own ;).

5. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Some formulas made my girls very very gassy! LOL It won't last forever!

6. pittmane

pittmane Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! I'm going to hope it was the formula and not my LOVE of dairy products....it would be very hard for me to forego dairy while BFing. Neither my DH nor I have any food allergies - would be hard to work with if one twin had one (but we'd manage). If this new formula doesn't do the trick, I'll try avoiding dairy for a week and see if it goes away. I neeeeed my mocha in the morning! :tease:

7. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

My boys are formula fed and very foul smelling. We started using an infant probiotic and it seems to be helping.

8. watersurfers

watersurfers Well-Known Member

It's the formula! Seriously. Mine are mainly breastfed, but I supplement occasionally with formula. Their burps and farts are SOOOOOO smelly after being formula fed! And formula poop.......UGH!!!

9. Shohenadel

Shohenadel Well-Known Member

I remember that age like 1-2 months as a time of very stinky farts in all my babies (and my sister's too) no matter if they were breastfed or formula fed). We used to call them rotten egg farts. Maybe it's just a stage!! It's pretty funny though! Especially if you are out in public and you explain to others that it's the babies and people are probably thinking, "sure it is, righhhhhhhttttt"

:)

shannon

10. ljmcisaac

ljmcisaac Well-Known Member

When my mom babysat, the little girl used to have "cabbage pants" BM.... :) I was pretty young at the time, but based on the baby's age, it was probably formula/first solids.

11. buddhababybelly

buddhababybelly Well-Known Member

At that age I remember questioning my girls toots, I thought baby toots were supposed to smell like a field of roses..DH constantly to this day blame his toots on the girls, one of my girls tooted at my docs office a few weeks ago, and my reaction was to say woops, <_< , woops of all things, Everyone thought it was me.. But as long as your DS is happy, I wouldnt worry too much about it. It is something to ask the doctor if you are concerned of course.