Stinky bibs :(

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by EOMommy, Jan 26, 2010.

1. EOMommy

EOMommy Well-Known Member

you know those plastic bibs you can buy at walmart, target etc? They sure start to stink shortly after first use, don't they!? I've thrown them in the washer with vingear, detergent, etc, but they still stink.

Anyone got any better ideas of constantly buying new ones?

2. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Hanging them outside helps a lot. I know the weather isn't ideal right now, but as long as it isn't actively snowing... (just pin them down with a rock or something so they don't blow away).

3. SMax

SMax Well-Known Member

We have the Bumkins bibs...they also start to stink a bit, mostly around the collar. The label says "not to use bleach," but on the weekends, I soak them in a pan with soapy water...and I pour in a little bleach. It seems to work for us :)

4. jaclynkoehl

jaclynkoehl Well-Known Member

I use Clorox Color Safe Bleach in with every load of baby "stuff" - it seems to zap the stink and do a great job at removing stains. Well, most stains... for really tough stains I still spray on some Shout before putting it in the hamper. It's a little expensive but keeps things fresh. Oh, and I always wash their stuff with warm water but will forget to turn the dial on occasion and the color safe bleach still seems to work.

5. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I honestly gave up on bibs at 15 months... tired of going through a lot of different ones and couldn't find that didn't stink and that they would keep on.

6. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

We also got rid of the bibs around 15 months or so but my youngest uses a bib and I hate that smell!! The only thing that we've found that works is bleach.
    GL!

7. silver_stardust

silver_stardust Well-Known Member

We have the Nuby brand bibs. Honestly, they do not stink and I hate that smell so I would definitely know if they did! We bought them at Shopko, they come in only a two-pk and are a bit pricier than the wal-mart brand but I've had mine for months. I threw out all of the other brands because I was happier with these. They are smaller and not quite so "bulky" and have a better velcro in the back. And my LO's can't take these ones off .... yet. HTH!

8. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Another pair here who gave up bibs around 15 months! :wavey: They won't keep them on for anything. I just buy lots of cheap shirts and change them as needed. :pardon:

9. debfitz

debfitz Well-Known Member

We only use the plastic Baby Bjorn bibs now. They save us tons of $$ with the food they catch. You wash them in the sink, not the laundry. They are very easy to use and clean. A little pricey at $9 bucks, but I see it as saving money for catching all the food that would otherwise hit the floor. I only have 4 of them and that's really all you need to get by.

10. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I just strip them for messy foods now... and otherwise they really don't make much of a mess anymore.

11. desolation_anonymous

desolation_anonymous Well-Known Member

They cost a little more, but seriously, try the Dex Dura bibs, they are great!

We use the Dex Dura big mouth bibs.
    it looks like they are a canvas type of material coated with a heavy acrylic (paint?) of some sort, that so far (7 months +) hasn't pealed off, chipped, etc.

Here is a link (from where we bought them from) http://www.kids-n-cribs.com/feeding-nursing/bibs/dex-dura-bib-big-mouth-bib-lion

We have four, and:

1) They do wipe down easy, but they still get stained/dirty, especially if food gets in around the collar or back.
    2) They can go in the washing machine, delicate cycle (air dry) and when they come out, they are CLEAN
    3) snaps provide for pocket to catch food, then you can unfold them to wash, etc.

We've been very happy with them, they are comfortable, easy to care for and so far we haven't had issues with stinky.

12. EOMommy

EOMommy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions ladies!! They were all great alternatives. Since I had bleach, and water, I tried that...and wouldn't you know - they don't smell!!! Of course that only lasts a couple days...i really need to look at alternatives like the dura bib! I am trying not to use the bib as often, never fails they spill or something, ack.

13. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I got the dura bibs... I don't like them. The back part is hard to clean, and the kids snap them off in about 2 seconds... but yeah, they don't smell, lol.