Stinky Feet

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by DblStuffOreo, Nov 22, 2011.

1. DblStuffOreo

DblStuffOreo Well-Known Member

My twins and I desperately need your help in with dealing with an embarassing personal issue. Please help!

Here's the skinny:

One of our playgroups requires that all shoes be abandoned at the door. The other day, when we arrived I smelled what I thought was the scent of used cat litter. I wrinkled my nose, assumed it was one of the other kids, and thought nothing more of it... until I smelled the same smell in our house a few days later. We haven't had a cat since the girls were born, so I started investigating. Low and behold, it was coming from their SHOES! The shoes are not cheap shoes (brand name withheld to protect an innocent brant, which I otherwise adore), so I am not inclined to think it is a shoe problem, per se, but rather a combination of sweaty foot in a closed environment.

My twins have VERY sweaty feet. In the summer, we would laugh because they would leave behind little footprints on our cold tile that would evaporate a few seconds later. This quirk, which was cute during the summer, is becoming a real problem now that it is fall/winter - season of socks and closed toe shoes.

So, I am turning to you in the hopes that some of you have had similar issues and have found solutions.

HELP! I don't want my twins to be known as the stinky feet kids!

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Can you try some baby powder in their shoes? I would suggest Gold Bond Foot Powder but I don't know if that would be recommended for children that young :unsure:

3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Can you wash the shoes? Put the shoes in the sun? Put the shoes in the freezer (in a plastic bag, supposedly this keeps the stink away). Is it only the one pair of shoes? I didn't think that babies/toddlers had the proper bacteria to make truly stinky feet, just "sweat stinky".

As for what to do at the playgroup, before you go - spray underarm deodorant in their shoes, while there - bring clean socks, wipe feet with a wipe, then put on clean socks.

4. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

We had a pair of stride rites that I loved but REEEEKED when Henry wore them. He's had no other issue except with that one pair of shoes. We tossed the shoes. Baking soda, tied up as a sachet in an old pair of panty hose left in the shoe is supposed to take the odor away. Good luck.

5. Sarah75

Sarah75 Well-Known Member

My son had really stinky feet when he was a toddler...I think they are just so busy running around that that is where they sweat from...the only thing I can say is carry some extra socks and wipe them with a baby wipe before putting clean socks on at the playgroup..I know its a pain but it may help.

6. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

My son is the same and I did the same...I always carried extra socks and would change them whenever we got anywhere. He now removes his socks whenever he's inside because he's always complaining his feet are hot. His winter boots last year were horrible but I've found this year that since he rarely wears socks indoors the stink has pretty much gone. His feet are still sweaty I just think that letting them breathe has helped.

7. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Little boys stink all over but I am a firm believer that little girls have the stinkiest feet. Jessys are really bad because she sweats a lot (not as bad as preheart surgery though). I buy the washable stride rite for this reason.

8. DblStuffOreo

Thanks so much everyone. We tried killing bacteria in the shoes with hand sanitizer. This improved things a bit for a day, but then the stink returned. We also tried baking soda and had the same result - mild, temporary relief. Unfortunately, the shoes aren't washable so we couldn't try that. Thankfully the smell stays with the shoe and their feet are fine (so no real need for washing feet, but definitely changing socks since those absorb the smell). HOWEVER, I think our problem may have solved itself. The other day the girls started complaining. They'd point to their feet and say "hurts." I took this as a sign that they needed new shoes and went shopping. So, problem solved.

There's always more than one way to skin a cat!

9. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

Are they the Mammoth Crocs by any chance!? OH MAN!! Those reek! I put them in washer and INSIST they wear socks! REEKY!

10. DblStuffOreo

No, these were Keens. My girls have other Keens and they love them. Those never smelled, but those were open toed, too. These are shiny pink vynil with cloth insoles. I am thinking the combo with sweaty feet was just the wrong mix.

11. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

YES. It is. That's how the Mammoth Crocs are and WHOAH! I almost died when we were at their 4 mo appts! Doc was like "Whoah Nellie! Those REEK!"! How embarassing.

And that was the FIRST time they'd ever had them on BUT they did not have socks on..

So, if you could at least contain the smell to the socks, you'll be okay..

WASH the shoes and dry them and start over. The combo is a problem tho.

12. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

I think it really is the shoes. My son has one pair that smell really bad. Other pairs must be more breathable or something. Now if you want to talk about stinky feet, mine are aweful! I use foot spray every day in the summer!! So embarassing.