Stinky room

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by MrsWright, Aug 22, 2009.

1. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

How do I get rid of the disgusting poopy diaper smell in the boys' room??? We have odor bags in and I clean it out once a week (or 2) and let it air out outside but it immediately smells as soon as the next poop diaper goes in it! We have to flip the diapers in as fast as possible so the smell doesn't linger for too long! :bad: We just use a regular trash can with a lid on it. Any tips!? Thanks!!!

ps when its closed it doesn't smell too bad but if you go near that corner of the room you can definitely smell it!

2. mollyjm

mollyjm Well-Known Member

Lots of little tricks. Keeping it clean. keeping the windows open. Taking the trash can outside once a week to air out I find helps. Putting baking soda in the trash can.

there are more... im just not thinking of them yet

3. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

i use an antibacterial soap and soak it in super hot water once a week. that usually does the trick for us.

4. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

The best thing I did was save all the plastic Walmart/Target/grocery bags. I'd drop the stinky diaper into the bag, twist it around then flip in inside itself and tie in a knot. The double layer of plastic helped immensely to keep the smell down as long as it went out within two or so days. At one point I kept a small lidded trash can on the porch so I could toss the diapers right in there! I know some other moms that kept the diaper pail just outside the back door.

5. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

When mine were in diapers, I just automatically took the poopy diapers right to the outside garbage can, that way there was no smell at all.

1 person likes this.
  6. Carrie27

Carrie27 Well-Known Member

I use the diaper champ and I keep it in the bathroom. I have a plug in night light air freshener. When we take out the trash from it we scrub it with bleach and Lysol it. Put in odor free garbage bags and it doesn't make the bathroom stink at all.

7. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I changed it every night and if one smelled especially bad it went straight outside. Or wrapped in a plastic bag first.

8. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I have two of the Graco hands free ones (which we never use the hands free part :rolleyes: ) and it has an odor absorber in it. I always forget to replace it so I just make sure the bag gets taken out twice a week and before putting the new odor absorbent bag in, I spray it with lemon Lysol. There are days though where we make sure to close it back up quickly! It didn't start to smell at all until after about a year. I love it!

Oh, I also heard that putting a dryer sheet in a reg trash can can help reduce odor.

1 person likes this.
  9. spaulino227

spaulino227 Active Member

I have a diaper genie. It works awesome for us. I know that the refills are more expensive than trash bags, but it's worth it to us! I never notice the smell in our house - unless my husband is lazy and doesn't change the bag when he should!!

10. Shohenadel

Shohenadel Well-Known Member

We are having the same problem...especially with the heat in NH these past few weeks. It's impossible to get rid off the poopy smell. So I just took the diaper champ and stuck it in the garage...now I just go put the diapers in it out there and the problem is more or less solved.

shannon