Storytelling

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by jjzollman, Aug 1, 2012.

1. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

One of my boys' most favorite things is when someone tells them a story. They have been requesting one at bedtime after we read our books and I've been making up these ridiculous stories for them that they love. However, after a few months of this, I am running out of ideas! For awhile it was easy because they only requested me to tell them a story once a week or so, 4 stories a month I can totally handle. 7 stories a week, not so much!

Anyone else tell their kids stories? Any tips to avoid burnout and keep the stories fun?

Thanks! :)

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I am so not good at making up stories!! Good luck! I applaud you! :woman:

3. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

Maybe try to get them to continue the story. My DH does that with Kiefer (Cameron would rather just read a book). He'll start the story and let Kiefer continue. Then DH will continue after Kiefer said his part and they go back and forth like that. Sometimes they've even act it out if that is what Kiefer wants. I don't know if any of your boys would be interested in doing something like that, but it could help you get creative and actually get them involved. That way both you and your boys can actually guide the story to some very interesting places.

If you just don't have it in you to tell stories at all, would you consider bringing your kids to a library and they can pick out some books to read at night? Or, maybe they have story time there, but it wouldn't be during bedtime, obviously.

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We've recently started telling 'their' stories from when they were babies. What they liked, who they were, how they participated in holidays, etc. They adore it and DH & I have a blast remembering. :wub:

1 person likes this.
  5. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

Dh went through many weeks of story telling before bed! They all revolved around his childhood with his brothers and sisters. I do not know how the day came when the stories came to an end but they did! I was happy that was his thing with the boys because I have a horrible memory and would never be able to do that night after night! Their favorite story is when dh was a little boy and his hotdog but split in half and he through it across the kitchen!

6. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

My dad is one of the greatest storytellers ever! So I don't compare to him, but it can still be fun. Sometimes I tell them true stories from when I was a kid or ones I grew up hearing from my parents or grandparents. Sometimes I tell them a story I've read, a fairy tale or from a movie I watched, etc. I might use a children's song and turn it into a story. And a lot of the time I ask them what they want a story about. Or I'll ask them for 3 things like an animal, a superhero and a food and then make up a story about those things. And most of the time, one or more of the kids are the main character(s).

7. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We use some made up animals and their adventures:

#1 - The Orange Bear. Only one Orange Bear lives in North America, she's very messy and knocks over trees. So the story might be why she knocked over a certain tree (tried climbing to the top in order to fly, or got angry and pushed it over, whatever the kids' daily routines involved.

#2 - Krypto the Superdog. Superman's best friend. Has the same powers as Superman. We didn't make him up, he just happens to be one of the stuffed animals they play with (a stuffed dog with a superman cape from a pajama set.)

#3 - Lucky the Ant. Mostly revolves around how strong and lucky he is. "Lucky was very lucky he didn't get stepped on/burned by the magnifying glass/found the crown jewels."

1 person likes this.
  8. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We have them make up stories too, usually we will tell one before bed and then they tell one before "Mommy and Daddy go to bed".

9. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I love the idea of having the kids help make up the story!

10. NicoleLea

NicoleLea Well-Known Member

Good for you for being able to do it! I have the worst imagination ever. I could never come up with a story on the fly. I am only good for reading stories already written :)

11. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Thank you guys!! :)

I've started 2 character stories that go on different adventures, it is helping. We have Leo, Sam, and Frank (3 brothers, amazingly close in age to my three boys! ;)) and Sherwin the Super Sheep! :laughing:

2 people like this.