Strangers rude comments -vent!!!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by nbgmom, Nov 29, 2006.

1. nbgmom

nbgmom Well-Known Member

At the store today I had several people say-" oh how cute, glad it's you not me." The real kicker was one lady who said "Oh, twins I feel sorry for you" the sad part is she sad she had a set of twins that are older now so she said she knew what she was talking about. Also we have 3 boys and obviously that brings a parade of comments. I guess I just wish my little guys didn't have to hear what the rude people say. I make it clear every time that they are a blessing. We went through fertility treatments and frankly even on my hardest days I thank God that He chose me to be their mommy. I guess I just needed to vent thanks for listening.

2. nbgmom

nbgmom Well-Known Member

At the store today I had several people say-" oh how cute, glad it's you not me." The real kicker was one lady who said "Oh, twins I feel sorry for you" the sad part is she sad she had a set of twins that are older now so she said she knew what she was talking about. Also we have 3 boys and obviously that brings a parade of comments. I guess I just wish my little guys didn't have to hear what the rude people say. I make it clear every time that they are a blessing. We went through fertility treatments and frankly even on my hardest days I thank God that He chose me to be their mommy. I guess I just needed to vent thanks for listening.

3. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

Come and vent all you want! [​IMG] Some people just don't get it and really should keep their comments to themselves! You are very blessed!

4. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

Some people just don't understand what a blessing any child is. We are all lucky enough to know that twins is double the pleasure!

5. ads3046

ads3046 Well-Known Member

quote:
    We went through fertility treatments and frankly even on my hardest days I thank God that He chose me to be their mommy.

Ditto here too! [​IMG]

Angela

6. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

I hope the rude comments are few and far between. They can be so frustrating!

I took my boys to the doctor yesterday, and we got a different physican than usual at the office. She walked in and said, "Oh, what gorgeous boys! They are just what I needed to see after the day I've been having. What a lucky mom!" I wish people would keep their comments to themselves unless it's something nice and uplifting like that!

7. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

It can become very frustrating hearing it so much. Oddly, we don't get too many comments anymore. But, the other day we were at the store returning our bottle/cans and the gentlemen looks at us and says "congrats on such a wonderful gift" and I said "thank you" and he said "No, I really mean it. What a blessing". It was such a nice change to hear something like that. One day at the Dr.'s too the Dr. came in and said that she'd been looking forward to seeing our precious kids ever since she saw her schedule for the day that morning. I hear you on not wanting them to feel like they are trouble or getting negative feelings, I wish people would just think before they opened their mouthes.

8. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

If I had a dollar for everytime I've heard "double trouble" ahh I'd be a millionaire. I just usually say "my children are no trouble" just "twice the blessing" and walk away.

Also when I hear glad it's u not me, I really want to say "so am I" glad its not you! I haven't done it yet though wish I would though.

9. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

[​IMG] I have had twin mom's say the same thing to me! I think they must be in a very hard phase right now or something. I don't take it too hard, but think that even if I didn't think it was the greatest thing in the world that I wouldn't admit it to a complete stranger....

[​IMG] 2.5 years of treatment for us too!

10. sharon_with_j_and_n

sharon_with_j_and_n Well-Known Member

When I get comments, positive or negative, I always respond with: "Having twins was the best thing that ever happened to us...it was like hitting the jackpot". This usually diffuses negative comments and reinforces the positive comments we get. I've mentioned this before but the rudest comment I ever received was when they were less than 3 months old. Jamie was considerably larger than Nicole and an older lady at the department store said "Twins aye, is that one the runt?". I was too dumbstruck to respond. I guess after that, nothing seems too bad.

[​IMG]

11. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

You're such a good mom. No wonder you are their mommy! [​IMG]

12. Marian

Marian Well-Known Member

quote:
    I guess I just wish my little guys didn't have to hear what the rude people say.

Your reaction to those people will counteract anything that they say. Not only will it boost their self-confidence if their mom is saying she's not sorry but feels blessed, but will also teach them how to handle those kind of comments when they get older.

*hug*

13. 2for1

2for1 Well-Known Member

The EXACT same thing happened to me, word for word, the other day. I said, "oh, please don't feel sorry for me....they were much wanted and they're such a blessing." She got really huffy, and said, "WELL, I DO!! I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! I DO FEEL SORRY FOR YOU!"

I couldn't believe it, and I wanted to say, Well, I feel sorry for your kids!

14. shanm

shanm Well-Known Member

I had a 60-ish old woman say the same thing. She was glad it was me, not her. She knew what I was going through because she had 34 year old twins. I share your aggravation. How appalling!!!

15. Moms2NTwins

Moms2NTwins Well-Known Member

[​IMG] thank goodness thje "are they twins" thing has worn down a lot since Katie look and acts so much older than Joshie. I have had my share of rude comments. One wasn't too long ago, this lady said "oh she's prettier than him isn't she?" uhhhh hello?? I of course get the "well I guess you're glad you got your girl" ummm yea but if I had 4 boys it would be no different I love my boys just as much as my girl.