Strep throat - I currently have a killer sore throat. Painful to swallow.

Discussion in 'General' started by megkc03, Jan 28, 2013.

1. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I currently have a killer sore throat. Painful to swallow. I looked and I can see one white spot. One. And Dr. Google said white spots in throat can be a number of things. :laughing: Other than the sore throat, I feel totally fine. No fever, upset stomach, etc etc.

I've never had strep either, so I'd never know what to look for-besides the white spots! :laughing:

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Is it the most intense pain you've felt? Like swallowing razor blades? I remember last time I had strep, I was lethargic and no fever. It's probably just post nasal drip, but if you're concerned, go get a rapid strep test done.

3. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

I just got diagnosed with strep on Saturday.

Swallowing was horrible, like razor blades in my throat is exactly what I told the dr. Fever of 101.6. Lethargic. In general, felt like I was dying. Slept a lot.

This is the second time I have had it as an adult and both times I have been horribly sick when I get it.

4. megkc03

Yeah I got none of that. Lol! Wonder if maybe the beginnings?!?

I'm going to gargle some salt water and see how that goes. Razor blades...I'm so bad at descriptions! It hurts! Lol! So I'm trying to limit when I do. Hahaha!

5. becasquared

Jori, you feel better now, right? 24 hours on penicillin will make you feel sooooo much better! If not, relief is right around the corner.

6. becasquared

No beginnings to strep. Seriously, you are going about your normal life and within thirty minutes of your throat starting to feel funny you have a fever and can't swallow. But go get a strep test done.

7. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Bex, yep! Yesterday afternoon was 24 hrs and I was still hurting, but today I feel pretty good. Took the day off work, just to be safe. ;)

Meaghan, mine started with a sore throat and no other symptoms. Then I sarted feeling tired. Woke up Friday feeling pretty bad so I knew that I needed to go to the dr. Was home with puking kids, so I waited til Saturday. I was pretty sure it was strep by that point. Also, my glands in my neck get really swollen and my voice changes, sounds like my mouth is full of golf balls or something.

Hope you don't have it!

8. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Meaghan, I have never had strep and I hope you don't have it. I would go to the doc and have it checked out. I had a really bad sore throat with a lot of white spots down one side and I was diagnosed with tonsilitis. I had no fever or anything...it was just very hard to eat and drink .
    Jori, I am glad you are feeling better!

9. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ugh, strep does feel like swallowing razor blades. I tend to need the long test done, though. The short test will come back negative so they usually do both on me.

10. megkc03

Thanks ladies!

Glad you're on the mend Jori!

I'm going to wait it out one more day. Plus the weather here is going to get bad soon too. I'm banking on just a sore throat...but I'll keep inspecting! ;)

11. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yep, extremely sore throat, fever, and generally feel like crap. Sort of like having the flu, that hit by a bus feeling. But, I have had a couple of my kids who had strep but never had anything but the sore throat. If it doesn't get better, go get the test (and Michelle is right, even if they do the rapid test, insist that they back it up with the long test, the rapid test is notorious for getting false negatives).

12. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Razorblades. Apt description. When you go to swallow and you have to actually brace yourself and then you make a HORRIBLE face when you do swallow because it hurts so bad. That's strep :/

Anytime I start with a sore throat I try sinus meds, usually it's just sinus drainage that's causing mine. I've had strep once as an adult (Sean's had it 3 times, poor guy). No fun!

13. becasquared

Yes!! I remember tearing up before I would swallow because of the anticipation of the pain. I did a lot of spitting too, so I didn't have to swallow my saliva. The nurse told me that my throat "looks like ground beef" and "if that's not strep, I don't know what it is" as the rapid test came back positive within 30 seconds.

And who gets strep throat in the middle of summer? Me.