Strep Throat

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by [email protected], Mar 15, 2009.

1. angeez78@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

My one dd had a red throat and white patches on it about a week ago and the dr. said they don't treat kids under 2. She didn't even do a strep culture as she said they don't treat it under 2. She got better and now my other dd has had a fever for 4 days and has a red throat and white patches. Has anyone had a 13 mo. old or a child under 2 with the same symptoms and what treatment was done? I just think it is wierd that they aren't doing anything for it.

TIA!

2. mnellson

mnellson Well-Known Member

We had an awful time with strep thoat last summer. From July-September, we all got strep between 4-5 times. The twins were 4 and the baby (Carys) was only 7 months old. Our ped. did treat Carys with antibiotics. The first few times she took them fine. The last time she was very sick and wouldn't take the antibiotics (No matter what!) so, she ended up getting a shot of antibiotics.

Not that this will happen to everyone, but we kept passing it around and couldn't get rid of it. So, I would just be careful and make sure that doesn't happen.

Also, I remember the nurse telling me that strep is one that you want to treat and not let go. So, hmmm? Maybe find out why they don't usually treat it?

Good luck!

3. angeez78@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Mel G @ Mar 15 2009, 09:35 PM) [snapback]1229842[/snapback]
    We had an awful time with strep thoat last summer. From July-September, we all got strep between 4-5 times. The twins were 4 and the baby (Carys) was only 7 months old. Our ped. did treat Carys with antibiotics. The first few times she took them fine. The last time she was very sick and wouldn't take the antibiotics (No matter what!) so, she ended up getting a shot of antibiotics.

Not that this will happen to everyone, but we kept passing it around and couldn't get rid of it. So, I would just be careful and make sure that doesn't happen.

Also, I remember the nurse telling me that strep is one that you want to treat and not let go. So, hmmm? Maybe find out why they don't usually treat it?

Good luck!

Evidently they say that there is no evidence of anyone under 2 getting scarlet fever so they don't treat it. I am going to call in the a.m. becuase here fever has gone on for 4 days.

4. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Tell them they should re-read the story of Helen Keller--scarlet fever as an infant is what made her blind and deaf!

I have never heard of anyone NOT treating strep. I would call another ped for a second opinion. I just did a quick search, and basically they say it is unusual for children under 2 to get strep, but it isn't impossible. My friends' entire family had strep many times this year, and they youngest daughter--under 2, has been treated along with the rest of the family each time for getting strep as well.