Strep Throat!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by brandycaviness, Nov 17, 2007.

1. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

Mattie has strep and they put her on antibiotics but I have a few Questions. They said to limit Lauren's time with her, but isn't the chances of her already having it pretty high? Also, they said that we had to throw away all pacis and sippy lids. That we couldn't kill the germ and she would just keep getting it. What do you all think? I don't want to reinfect her, but that is a small fortune.

TIA!!

2. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Brandy, I am so sorry your little bug is so sick. :( I'm not sure about the boiling and stuff, but I just wanted to give you a :hug99:.

3. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm sorry Mattie has strep throat. Caroline has had it several times since being in K, and both she and Emilie had it last month, but we were not told to throw away sippy lids, so I didn't (mine don't use pacis) I just washed them good.

Lauren has already been exposed to it. You are the most contagious before you even find out about the strep unfortunately. Would the dr. treat Lauren too? Last month when Emilie and Caroline had it, I called and asked them just to treat Trevor as well since both his sisters had it and they did. But she has already been exposed to it. Once Mattie is on the antibiotic for 24 hours, she's not contagious anymore. Hope she feels better soon. :hug99:

4. mellizomama

mellizomama Member

Did they test Lauren for strep? Sometimes you can have it without any symptoms. My son had strep without our realizing it and developed a very rare side effect -- PANDAS syndrome -- which is basically obsessive compulsive behavior. We didn't know what was going on until my husband developed strep. Coincidentally I was surfing the net for information about obsessive behavior in children and came across the link. We got my son tested for strep and he was positive (as were the rest of us). He was treated with antibiotics and eventually the problem resolved itself, but it was a horrible couple of months. Strep is nothing to fool around with. It can also lead to rheumatic fever, which can cause heart damage, so be very careful.

Regarding the sippies, my doctor never told us to get rid of them. We were told to get our kids new toothbrushes both while they were taking antibiotics and after they finished them. I would also boil the sippy cup lids, just to be safe.

5. summerfun

QUOTE(mellizomama @ Nov 17 2007, 10:23 AM) [snapback]499997[/snapback]
    We were told to get our kids new toothbrushes both while they were taking antibiotics and after they finished them. I would also boil the sippy cup lids, just to be safe.

Yes, we always buy new toothbrushes after strep. Thanks for the reminder.

6. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

if you truly can't kill the germ, I'd do what he said to do.
    The other poster said her kids have had it/passed it back and forth, maybe it's because they continued using the cups{?}

7. summerfun

QUOTE(Amanda @ Nov 17 2007, 03:51 PM) [snapback]500271[/snapback]
    if you truly can't kill the germ, I'd do what he said to do.
    The other poster said her kids have had it/passed it back and forth, maybe it's because they continued using the cups{?}

Did I miss something, who said their kids passed it back and forth?

8. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I read too quickly but it doesn't change my humble opinion. I was just wondering if everyone tossed out lids and such if it would stop the perpetuation of the illness is all.

9. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug99: Brandy - my kids have had strep many times & many times they have not given it to each other. We have quite often had it with just one of them & none of the others ever got sick. My husband & I have never gotten it from them. So, I would boil the lids, pacis, etc. but I agree that Lauren has probably already been exposed during the most contagious time, still she might not get it. Some kids evidently get strep easier than others. :hug99:

10. ~Laura M~

~Laura M~ Well-Known Member

I would get new toothbrushes for sure. I am not sure about the cups, I always wash my cups with anti-bacterial dishsoap and then toss them in the dishwasher. Someone wrote that it's more about being prone...I totally agree. I was more prone and still am to get strep than my siblings. DH is less likely to get strep than I am.

Still precautions are good.

When someone in my house gets sick, I will clean the entire house and wash up all clothes. I change linen in the sick one's bed twice a day. When I say clean house, I take the Clorox wipes and hit every surface possible. And I have anti-bacterial hand cleaner in the bathrooms and the kitchen.

Sounds OCD, does it not? LOL It seems to help.

Big Hugs!