Stripping

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Rollergiraffe, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

ARGH! The boys have decided that it's super fun to strip everything off, diapers included, constantly. And then they either pee on the floor or have a tantrum that their clothes are off. This phase is total BS. How do I make it go away?

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Take them outside where it's cold? You *are* in Cananananadialand, right?

1 person likes this.
  3. Rollergiraffe

We have had a gorgeous fall.. until today. Maybe I'll take them for a walk and take their clothes away as they strip. It will be like bizarre performance art.

4 people like this.
  4. marchtwins

marchtwins Well-Known Member

My son did that around 2.5 too - we had a big problem with him at bed time since his pjs & diaper would come off! I had to start cutting the feet off the one piece pjs and reversing them. Thankfully it was a relatively quick phase for him - only a month or so - then the thrill was gone. Have you tried putting on clothing that has more buttons and may be harder for them to remove?

5. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Duct-tape. Wrap it all around them every morning!

Just kidding... I have no real suggestions. My girls love to take their clothes off too, but so far it hasn't caused any real issues other than shivering children who insist on eating dinner in their bathrobes. Oh - we did make a house rule that underwear stays on at all times, and some sort of upper body covering (bathrobe, t-shirt, princess costume, etc.) is required at dinner.

If your boys aren't old enough to deal with a house rule that diapers stay on, duct-tape really does work wonders. And it's easy to take off - you just slit it with a scissors during each diaper change.

6. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You're certainly in the right neighbourhood. :p

I found having designated naked time helpful at that age. Then I could say "You need to keep your clothes on right now but after lunch/nap/bath/etc you can take them off." We put potties out & covered the stuff that mattered in layers of towels & otherwise let them go to town. I don't think they ever actually made it to a potty, but I figured it was worth a try. :pardon:

7. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Gotta love natural consequences!

8. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Encourage it as a way to pay for college.. ;)

I have no real advice either.

9. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would duct tape their diapers on and not worry about the rest of it ;) Mine often run around with just a shirt on, or nothing but a diaper. However, diapers are not optional here! My oldest dd went through a short phase where she took her diaper off at night. After about the third night I threatened to duct tape her diaper on her butt (just a strip across the front tabs), and she never took her diaper off again. I even set the duct tape on her dresser and showed it to her before bed for a few weeks ;)

10. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yeah, we have naked time nightly. In fact, one of my two is hovering over my arm, naked as a jaybird. It makes it easier to keep them dressed when it's not naked time.

It's alice (and she typed her own name!)

11. Rollergiraffe

I duct taped one of their diapers last night, just the front, and he managed to shimmy out of it. Tonight they are getting the full wraparound treatment because I don't like to go puddle hunting in the dark. (We had to take their lightbulbs out so they didn't turn the light on and party all night.. seriously, they're killing me). Miles stripped in Home Depot today while he was in the racing car shopping cart and I just took his shirt away and let him go around Home Depot naked. It had zero effect. I wouldn't be too bothered about the clothing removal but diapers are not optional and I hate being woken up to screaming because they're cold. I am not a religious person but I am going to pray this phase ends, and do a little "no nudie" dance to the clothing gods and whatever else I can to hope it passes.

ETA: Well done Alice!

12. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

Ours started that around that age and here we are at 3.5 years old and it is still going strong. We have learned to accept it, tell them it is not appropriate for strangers to see them with no clothes (i.e. the mailman, ups man, etc.), and have tried not to get too upset that by about 3pm all clothes are gone. I can't get them dressed again until PJ for my own sanity because of the screaming and tantrums. I guess we have two future nudists since they love the freedom. I also wonder why we but them clothing or even try to dress them at all in the morning.

13. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

Abby's like that to this day - she'll come home from school, declare that she is hot and the next thing you know she's running around in her panties!

14. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

LOL! Mine are combining stripping with breaking into their dresser. The last time it happened I found them with clothes strewn all over the room, multiple shirts and pants were inside out, and X was naked except for 3 of his sister's shirts! It wad almost too funny to get mad!

15. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

We also have designated naked time every day which they love; so far it has worked. We also have a house rule that you need to be dressed for meals and that strangers do not see you undressed.

16. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

I guess I'm in the minority here. Stripping = time outs in our house. When I would see them attempting to take their clothes off, I would give them a warning. If they continued, they got a time out. I can only think of one time that I went in their room after they fell asleep and found them without clothes.

When it was time to get undressed first thing in the morning, baths or for bedtime, I encouraged and praised them to take their clothes off but any other time I wanted them to know that I did not approve of stripping.

17. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm a blend of June & cjk... I've just recently started a naked run after baths. I let them run down the hall & come back to me. If they don't come back, I don't do it for a while. Stripping clothes off, though, I don't like. I don't mind them practicing when it's time to change clothes, but I don't like it when they take off their diapers or clothes. If I see them doing it, I tell them no & move their hands away. I keep doing this until they get going doing something else.

18. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

This is as good a place as any to share our latest nekkid time exploits:

We do naked time after baths in the evening. The girls love being nude and I figured it allowed some essential areas to air dry a little better than if we diapered them right away. Last week Alexis and Samantha were pretty wound up after baths, so they were racing (nude) from the living room to the hall, back to the dining area, and around to the hall again. They were cracking themselves (and us) up. All was good until I heard a crash and hysterical crying from the hall. We went in and found that both had somehow slipped and fallen onto one another. Poor chickies! I picked up Alexis and realized she was wet- her body, her hair, her face. I took a step back and realized that the floor was one big puddle of... of... yup.

My girls made a DIY slip-n-slide in the hall and were having a grand ol' time right up to the fall.

We did baths again. We did diapers immediately.

Then I mopped my whole house.

2 people like this.
  19. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh my gosh Stephanie that made me LOL for real!! I'm glad they weren't hurt, but that's hilarious!!