Sucking on Bunny Ears- provides comfort and SMELL!! (HELP!)

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Debbi and A.J., Nov 27, 2006.

1. Debbi and A.J.

Debbi and A.J. Well-Known Member

Hello!!

Sally loves to suck on her "Best Friends Indeed" bunny. The ears are her favorite. Except it stinks!! Her breath and the bunny ears smell like mildew, which is not only unpleasant, it makes me nervous.

I need some help. They don't use pacifiers- which is great, but I need to introduce a new lovey--- and fast. She loves to take the bunny with her everywhere, but if I switch now, I think I am safe.

Do you have a suggestion of a good blankie to use, or a way to keep this cleaner- what can she suck on that will not smell?

I think this might smell because the ears are thicker and fleece??

She has a little stuffed animal that she keeps in her crib, and the ears are all sucked on too- basically, corners of things will make her happy.

If you can share a link of something that you use that works well, I will buy it! :)

HELP!
    Thanks a bunch...

2. Debbi and A.J.

Debbi and A.J. Well-Known Member

Hello!!

Sally loves to suck on her "Best Friends Indeed" bunny. The ears are her favorite. Except it stinks!! Her breath and the bunny ears smell like mildew, which is not only unpleasant, it makes me nervous.

I need some help. They don't use pacifiers- which is great, but I need to introduce a new lovey--- and fast. She loves to take the bunny with her everywhere, but if I switch now, I think I am safe.

Do you have a suggestion of a good blankie to use, or a way to keep this cleaner- what can she suck on that will not smell?

I think this might smell because the ears are thicker and fleece??

She has a little stuffed animal that she keeps in her crib, and the ears are all sucked on too- basically, corners of things will make her happy.

If you can share a link of something that you use that works well, I will buy it! :)

HELP!
    Thanks a bunch...

3. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

OMG, Sarah does the exact same thing, and it's the exact same bunny! They must do something really great with the ears at that bunny factory.[​IMG]

I bought a backup bunny (they're made by Bunnies by the Bay) and I switch them every week and toss the dirty one in the wash. The ears are still sort of grayish and yucky-looking, but they smell clean. I started doing this around 7 months and she didn't even notice -- hopefully it's not too late for you!

We also only use loveys in the bed. If she happens to still be clinging to it when I pick her up, I gently take it away and say "Bunny stays in the crib," and she hasn't protested so far. This probably helps keep it a little cleaner, although the ears are still always damp. HTH!

4. micheleinohio

micheleinohio Well-Known Member

I looked it up online and it looks very similar to the one my Michael uses and it also looks like it is a pale color. Michael sucks on the hands. I throw it in the washer with bleach and hot water. (mine does have a bleach dispenser though so that could be why I don't get bleach spots). I think it may be slightly lighter than when he first got it but he doesn't seem to mind.

If it is as bad as you say you aren't going to keep it anyway and so it won't hurt to try. However, if you don't want to try bleach use white distilled vinegar in your fabric softner dispenser. Vinegar is a natural cleaner and gets rid of smells.

5. BettiePage

BettiePage Well-Known Member

I was going to ask if it wsa washable -- read the tag and throw it in the washer if it's OK. Natalie has a Taggie that she sucks on (she sucks one -- and only one -- of the tags on each corner) and MAN does it get STINKY. It doesn't smell mildew-y to me, just EWWWWWW-y, LOL. I definitely have to run it through the wash at least once a week. If you are going to try to make a switch, do it SOON -- around 1 yo I bought a backup Taggie so I could switch it out for the wash more easily -- EXACTLY the same one -- and she completely rejected it. SHe has never cuddled the "imposter" Taggie and could tell them apart from Day One. [​IMG] She was NOT happy when I tried to give her the new one! LOL! But I think if I'd tried it about a month before she never would have noticed.

6. MeldieB

MeldieB Well-Known Member

Katy has a giraffe lovie blanket. She likes to suck on the giraffe's horns. I just wash her "jaff" at least once a week. I also only let her have "jaff" to sleep. In the mornings or after nap, I tell her "Mr. Giraffe is still sleepy, put him back in the crib so he can sleep." And she does. She throws him back, waves bye to "jaff". So I wash him during her wake time.

7. bridget nanette

bridget nanette Well-Known Member

Mikayla is like that too. I call her "squee baby FABRIC LICKER" She sucks on my microfleece robe! I haven't been able to get it away from her or wear it myself for ages. I do try to throw it in the wash when she is occupied with something interesting.

She doesn't have bad breath tho. I'm sorry I can't help you there.

Bridget

8. Jennie-OH

Jennie-OH Well-Known Member

Amanda did that for the longest time and it was at its worst when she was working on the molars. Now she does it occasionally but not ALL night like she used to.

Anyway, if it's washable (which I'm SURE it is since it's a lovey), here's what I do:

Spray liberally with Totally Toddler stain remover/treater and rub thoroughly - squeezing the ears and arms to make sure it penetrates all the way through. Then I will usually throw it in with the rest of their laundry and into the dryer it goes. Comes out great. Smells pretty and looks nice.

9. Whoa Mama

Whoa Mama Well-Known Member

Even if it ISN'T washable, give it a try. I've washed a lot of "un-washable" things and they came out fine. I'd rather give it a shot than have them sucking on a smelly lovey. Just let it air-dry.

10. haileysmomplus2

haileysmomplus2 Well-Known Member

OH MY GOODNESS!
    I am so glad I am not the only one with this problem!!!! LOL! We do not have the same thing but very similar and ds sucks on the ears, hands and corners of the blanket! It can come out of the wash and still look like it has not been cleaned in months or for that matter ever!!!! LOL!!! We have just taken to calling it stinky! And he LOVES his Stinky! LOL! [​IMG]

11. me_and_my_boy

me_and_my_boy Well-Known Member

I also wash unwashable things and they've been fine unless they have an electonic noise thingy in it :). I washed a dog (by accident) that used to bark and it ended up barking non-stop for about 2 days and then died [​IMG]! Mine also only have loveys in their cribs so I don't have that worry. Ethan has been drooling buckets since last December and his spit stinks after a while :). I just keep washing everything to keep the smell at bay!

Mine also love to chew on their burp cloths so they get those as often as they want. It helps w/teething.

Good luck!
    Mendy

12. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

My DD does it too!!! I have a whole assortment of things my DD will suck on. I wash several with each load (you have to dry them a little extra most times) and put vinegar in with the load! (3/4 cup) I have the SAME THING!!!

13. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

My girls LOVE their blankies. They got these small 12x12 blankies from their sitter when they were 6 months old and Morgan's goes EVERYWHERE with us. She got them at WalMart. I couldn't find a link, but they are with the other blankies and it's yellow/green fleece panels on the front with a Pooh and Piglet embroidered in the middle and the back is yellow satin. Morgan gnaws on hers to the point where she puts it in her mouth and her teeth pull the fibers out. The blankie now looks like heck, but she still loves it.

Reagan had the same blankie that she also carried around and wouldn't sleep without it. Until I brought this one out of the closet one day and she immediately was drawn to it. She sucks on the tags, the satin, anything. She carries it around behind her shoulder just like Linus in the peanuts cartoons. It's too funny.

I did also get them Taggie blankets a long time ago, but they never really took to those, but that might be another option too.

14. dmkhunt

dmkhunt Well-Known Member

I thought is was a little unusaual when Morgan started rubbing the tails of his lovies under his nose but I guess it's better than in his mouth and having an odor. I should be thankful for that.

15. shelbyolivia

shelbyolivia Well-Known Member

How funny! Both of my girls suck on their ty bear in bunny suit stuffed animals. I solved the "stinky" problem by buying each another exact one. So, they have one to suck on & one that is usually in the wash.