Sudden accidents - UGH!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by eagleswings216, Feb 20, 2013.

1. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

So my boys have been in underwear for months now, since about July or August. They were still having occasional leaks, and sometimes a full on accident if they were distracted or not paying attention playing. They are still in underjams at night since they wake up wet most mornings still.

Now, in the last two weeks or so, DS1 is hiding and just completely peeing in his pants, not even trying to get to the potty. And about 4-5 times, he's gone and laid in his bed, covered up, and soaked himself and the whole bed. UGH. What the heck?!?

When I ask him why he does it, he just says "I wanted to". We've tried being understanding, we've tried time out, etc. No change. Anyone else have this all of the sudden??

DS2 is still doing great thankfully, but this is getting really frustrating.

Any insight or ideas???

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls haven't ever been quite that particular about it but yes, every few months they seem to regress for a week or so with multiple accidents a day. When it happens, I go back to basics - checking in to see if they're dry every 30 minutes or so, reminding them they can use the washroom and then come back to their activity if I notice a potty dance, etc. They're also responsible for putting their wet undies in the laundry, wiping up any puddles and putting on clean undies/pants (with supervision). I don't treat this as a punishment just a result of peeing their pants. I try to stay matter of fact and just know that it will pass in time.

1 person likes this.
  3. jolcia17

jolcia17 Well-Known Member

I really like this! Thanks. Currently doing potty training.

1 person likes this.
  4. eagleswings216

They have both had phases of a few days here or there with more accidents. If it was just that, it would be one thing, and I know it would pass. I guess what's getting me is how he intentionally hides and pees all over himself - and especially the going in, getting in bed, covering up, and then soaking everything. He's also hidden behind the curtains a few times and done it, but the bed is the most frequent target. That's the part of it I just can't make sense of. It's like he knows he needs to pee and chooses to go somewhere else other than the potty.

And I do make him clean it up, take care of the wet clothes, and get himself dry clothes and put them on. That doesn't seem to even phase him. And sometimes he lies about it, too - he will say he didn't pee while everything is obviously soaked.

5. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't think it's accident. It's more like they do it intentionally just to experience "IT". I hope they will soon stop it. I feel for you ;(

6. mom2gc

mom2gc Well-Known Member

No real help from me, just an idea. Is he sitting down when he pees? Maybe you can teach him to stand, my son out of his own started to want to pee like daddy standing. He thinks it is so cool. He stands on a step in front of the toilet. I have never rewarded my kids for using the toilet, but a friend's little girl also started to wet her panties all the time and she then started a special sticker book. Good luck.

7. eagleswings216

He's been standing to pee for quite awhile, so I don't think that's it.

At least we had no major accidents today.

8. mom2gc

mom2gc Well-Known Member

So glad :good:

9. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with Rachel. My daughter, who has been PT-ed since 2.5, has had the occasional accident. I remember when I was PT-ing my son and she stood in the living room (while I was busy with him) looked at me and just peed herself. I knew at that time, she was jealous of the attention he was getting (forgetting that a few months earlier, she was getting all that attention). So I had to incorporate her into his potty training "You have to show your brother that using the toilet is what big kids do." That ended her jealousy but now if she does it, it's because she doesn't want to stop what she's doing. And my daughter has also lied about wetting herself. We told her about lying and how it is not good to do.
    I would still have him help you clean up the messes, remind him that pee goes in the potty and if he wants to be a big boy, he has to keep his underwear dry. I think kids go through goofy phases with the potty.