Sudden Lump and Pain

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by mish_lewis, Jun 19, 2013.

1. mish_lewis

mish_lewis Well-Known Member

Hey Ladies,

I am BF child number four. She is 13 months and doing great. I have been lucky and never had any BF issues with my three boys (5yrs, twins 3yrs) or her up till today. I started having some pain during her feedings today, but did not really think anything of it. Then tonight I felt tender about an hour after her finally feeding and I now realize I have a lump the size of a golf ball. The nipple itself is not sore.
    I do not have a fever or anything, although I have been more tired lately.... but then again I am chasing four little ones around.

What do you think? Should I be concerned or will it work itself out?

Thank you,
    Mishelle

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It sounds to me like a plugged duct and in my personal experience, I find it's best to treat it immediately and thoroughly. Kellymom has a great article on plugged ducts/mastitis, what causes them and how to treat them: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/

3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yeah, it sounds like a plugged duct to me, too. A wide toothed comb in the shower (hottest water you can stand) helped me.

Is your daughter nursing less? Or have you changed bras?

4. miss_bossy18

Oh yes! Wide tooth comb worked well for me too - run the comb through a bar of soap and then run it over the lump starting "above" the lump and moving down towards the nipple. You want to use a fair bit of pressure but not so much that you hurt yourself or cause damage to the healthy breat tissue.

5. mish_lewis

mish_lewis Well-Known Member

Thank you!
    She nursed around 4AM this morning, and then again at 7AM. The lump is gone, although the breast is really tender. Is this the end of the plugged duct or will it reappear later in the day?
    I am nursing a little less since she is eating table food at all meals. I was planning on slowing things down and weaning around 18-20 months.
    Mishelle

6. miss_bossy18

I would just keep an eye on it - it does sound like it's cleared up though. The area can remain tender for a while even when the plug itself has cleared up.