sudden weight discordance

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by be81, Sep 17, 2009.

1. be81

be81 Member

Hi Everyone,
    i have been reading for a while but not posting much, but have found all the info on hear so valualbe. Am hoping that no one minds my first post already asking for help.

I had my 30 week ultrasound yesterday, and was keeping eveyrthing crossed that there would be no changes, and everything was as it should be. We found out that our lil boy (twin A) is all of a sudden starting to lag behind his sister. He came in at 2 lbs 10 oz and she's 3lbs3 oz. Before this they have always been only 1 oz apart. The lil boy actually weighed what i expected him to (has been putting on the same amount of ounces for a while). it's baby girl who shocked us with the huge weight gain. Add to that that my cervix has shrunk a bit and i am starting to worry myself silly.

I was/am hoping for a vaginal delivery (little boy is head down), but it all rests on baby girl not becoming the bigger twin (OB will not deliver vaginally if twin B is bigger), and am gutted that in two weeks (all being well) i might be forced to start dicussing c section plans and how soon. I am also really worried that our little boy will keep misisng out on his share of the nutrients.

anyone else experience a suddent weight difference in their twins & did it recitfy itself & if not what happened?

2. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

Of course we don't mind! :hug:

My two were of different weights starting around 28 weeks. My dd (twin b) was always about a lb more then her brother. My doctor never showed much concern with this because they were fraternal. I knew I was having a c/s so not doing a vaginal birth was not something I worried about. But in the end, my dd was supposed to be (according to u/s) a little over a lb bigger then her brother and HE ended up being 2 lbs bigger then her! :faint: U/S can be off, and they were off in my case.

I wish I had more advice to offer. Was your doctor concerned about the weight difference?

3. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I agree that since they are fraternal, weight discordance isn't crucial because they can't have TTTS. Try and remember that they are 2 different people and they are going to grow at different rates. Also, u/s technology is not an exact science and if the measurements are even a bit off it can throw off the entire weight calculation. Best of Luck to you! :hug:

4. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

I think that as long as your little guy grew the same amount that he always does that that is a good sign. What did your OB say about the ultrasound? With my boys there was always a huge difference. J always measured in the 3rd percentile and W always in the 10th. This continued until I was 31wks then they decided during a doppler ultrasound that J was working way to hard for his share of the blood. I had to have an c section the next day. When is your next ultra sound? do you have to go for stress tests to? I hope that everything works out the way you planned with the delivery. Best of luck

5. ohd1974

ohd1974 Well-Known Member

I am so glad you asked this question. I too went for my 30 week u/s yesterday and was surprised to find out my frat girls were now a pound apart. They were always an oz apart. I havn't talked to my doctor yet, but the u/s tech said she couldn't get real accurate measurements on the smaller baby because she was curled up like a pretzel. She said this can cause weights to be way off.

6. arkie

arkie Well-Known Member

I'm going for my next scan on Monday and it has been almost 3 weeks since my last one, I hope that the boys are staying close in weight, they are mono-di and I too am hoping for a vaginal delivery. Keep us posted on what occurs in the next couple of weeks, your boy could just be getting ready for a growth spurt and your girl may be slowing down :hug:

7. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

sorry for bad typing...in hospital & hooked up to stuff!

i kind have written this post!!! just found out yesterday that my dizygotic twins are no longer proportional. 26 weeks. boy is 1 lb 10 oz (40th percentile) and girl is 2 lbs 1 oz 80th percentile). both have excellent cord blood flow. his placenta is low lying so it's not in a spot where the uterine blood flow is as great. i know 40% is "fine" but the discrepancy worries me. i know they are two different kids with their own genetics, but they do share a lot of genetics so shouldn't they be more eve. mfm is not worried but wants to keep close eye.

i'm in hoispital for respirator distress, but the kiddos are doing fine.

very worried too

8. leahkatebrown

leahkatebrown Well-Known Member

If it makes you feel better, my fraternal twins have measured a pound apart at many u/s and my dr is never concerned. He says as long as they are not above 20-25% discordant (based on the bigger twin) there is no reason to worry, as long as everything else is looking ok.

9. be81

be81 Member

huge thanks ladies for the replies. I am the queen of worry, espeically this time around. I think the bigger issue is that if twin girl keeps appearing to be bigger i will be heading towards a c section. the lil boy is so low down and it was hard to get his head measurment so am hoping it's that.As well i would hate for the little boy to be mising out on nutrients. They went from a 1% difefrence all the way along to 17%. My OB just said it was something to keep an eye on, and we would know more in two weeks, when they get measured again. It's just going to be a long two weeks for the queen of impatience as well lol. I'm sure if i didn't have this to now worry about i would find something else though :p. I just need to take it easier so my cervix stops hopefully it's shrinking, and make it to my next milestone (32 weeks). If i need a c section so be it (will tell myself this enough times until i beleive it lol). as even if i don't want one,all i trully want is two healthy babies.
    Huge huge thanks again. Will update once i know more.

10. brieh

brieh Well-Known Member

For us from the start Baby B was always bigger until 24 weeks when it started to lag behind. We were diagnosed with Baby B having resistance in its cord/placenta. A couple weeks ago it caught up great and now last week it lagged behind again.

Our 30 weeks measurement was A- 3lb 10oz and B- 2lb 14 oz. Both measuring still with in limits so Dr. is ok with it for now. Its a bit of a rollercoaster ride, hoping they are ok. Because they are fraternal I would expect difference in weight anyways but I know what its like to worry that one isn't getting what it needs to grow. An there always is some slight error in the measurements, I'm sure.

Did your Dr. feel there may be a reason for the discordance?? Hopefully your next u/s will show great weight gain :) Keep us posted.

11. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

:hug: Comes with the territory. :lol: Keep us posted on how things go!

12. be81

be81 Member

had my follow-up today & baby boy FINALLY had his growth spurt!!! they are now both coming in a 3lbs 10 oz !!!!. Wish i could say my cervix was still behaving though...it's gone down some more (2.4) but OB tried reassuring me that anything over 2 cm after 32 weeks was consdiered good. Just hope i can keep them cooking a long while more, as this last week i have felt like utter crud...so am hoping it's not a omen or anything (see told you i could find just about anything to worry about lol) Just thought i would update. At least i am now being moved to weekly appointment, so will take everything one day at a time :)