suddenly refusing pacifier?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by paperclippy, Mar 8, 2014.

1. paperclippy

paperclippy Well-Known Member

Hello out there, is anyone else still on this forum?  My girls are 10 months/8 adjusted, and last night one of them started refusing the pacifier suddenly.  They used to have their pacis all the time, but lately we've reduced it down to naptime, bedtime, and if they're super fussy and we can't calm them down.  Typically these days C sleeps through the night and A is up once or twice, but usually goes right back down if we re-insert her paci.  Last night A refused the paci and wailed every time she was up (still only up 3x so not terrible).  She seemed like she was having tummy troubles, and this morning both of them were constipated so I assumed that was why they were fussy this morning.  We fed them a bunch of prunes with breakfast so the constipation is clearing up, but A is still refusing her paci.  Getting her down for her nap was difficult because usually our routine involves the pacifier!  Earlier in the day she slapped the paci out of my hand when I brought it near her face, but at naptime she opened her mouth for it and then immediately spit it back out and cried.  I managed to get her down for her nap by standing there rubbing her back for about 10 minutes straight while she fussed and cried -- usually we give paci, pop in crib, and they go to sleep in a couple minutes with little to no crying.

Any idea what could be going on?  Last night she sounded a little congested so I thought maybe that was why but no congestion this morning and temp is normal.  I don't see any teeth coming in but they are the right age for it (don't have any yet).  I wouldn't mind if she weaned herself off the pacifier but I'm pretty clueless how to calm her down when she's crying.  These days the pacifier is my last resort for fussiness after I try everything else but if she won't take it I don't know what else to do.

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If she doesn't have any teeth I'd bet on teething. Have you stuck a finger in her mouth to feel for a swollen gum? I would actually bet on multiple teeth all coming in at once.

Try some meds or numb her up with frozen blueberries in a mesh feeder then try the paci and you might be able to tell.

3. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I vote teething as well.  The other aleternative is that if she is congested that could cause some discomfort when sucking as well.

4. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I would also vote teething. One of mine always had several teeth come within a couple of days and it always disturbed our nursing routine but it took me a bit to figure it out because the disturbance started a few days before I could feel anything on his gums.

5. paperclippy

paperclippy Well-Known Member

Well, she seems a little bit better today and took 2 of her 4 bottles plus a paci at one of her naps, so maybe the worst is past?  I hope!  :lol:

6. Lrnomder

Lrnomder Well-Known Member

Yeah I also have to vote for teething. I had the same issue with my girls not taking their bottles. I didn't introduce the pacifier to them so I have never even offered it to them the whole 11 months so far and I don't plan to. The only time they had one was when the hp gave them a paci when they were doing the carseat test.