Sunburn and breastmilk supply

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by christy.fisher, Jun 14, 2010.

1. christy.fisher

christy.fisher Well-Known Member

My milk supply has tanked this weekend. :( I haven't been doing anything differently, or eating anything out of the ordinary. The only thing I can think of is my sunburn. We went to the pool on Friday and while I had the babies slathered in sunblock, I neglected myself. My back is still red and a bit sore and itchy.

Is it possible for a good sunburn to kill your supply? Maybe my body is using that energy to heal my sunburn? I am so upset. Here it is 1:00 in the morning and I got up to pump which I don't do anymore but I want to keep my milk! I only got 2 oz after 20 minutes of pumping. :( My breasts feel so empty which I haven't felt in a long time.

Any ideas? I'm still taking my mother's milk plus supplements and I making oatmeal right now. How can my milk go away practically over night??

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't really know but I would bet hydration is key for you right now. If it were me, I'd start with a gallon of water, keep up with the supplements and bake some oatmeal raisin cookies. I bet you can come back, though. :)

3. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

Ditto Michelle. H2O!

Also, do you think it's possible that AF could be on the way back? Sometimes that will cause a dip in your supply.

Try not to worry - this will be temporary! Your milk will come back! :hug:

4. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i agree with PPs - sunburns (especially bad ones) cause dehydration which can, in turn, decrease your supply. drink lots of water & nurse, nurse, nurse like you normally would. your milk will come back. :hug:

i second Holly's suggestion of AF - my supply dips every month around that time. so annoying!

5. christy.fisher

christy.fisher Well-Known Member

Ugh... I hope not! :( I haven't had it in almost a year and a half now. It's still not as much as usual but I was leaking at work today, much to my delight as you can imagine... I was sitting at my desk and wondered why my nipple felt cold. Thankfully I had a jacket at my desk!

Thanks for the input, girls. I'm drinking all I can!