Sunscreen and bug spray for twins?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by dra1408, May 9, 2011.

1. dra1408

dra1408 Well-Known Member

I've been looking around for sunscreens and bug spray to use on the twins. There are so many different kinds, though, I just don't know which ones are the best and which ones could be harmful. We've been spending a lot of time outside and I'm sure we'll be spending a lot more soon. The mosquitoes are already coming out and I don't know if any of that spray is ok to use.

Any suggestions? TIA!

2. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

I usually use baby sunscreen (I think Banana Boat makes a really nice one) because they come with very high UPF ratings and are really good for sensitive skin. Nate has eczema so we try to stay away from things that might be harsh on his skin. The Banana Boat Baby Sunscreen I got last year was gentle enough to use on *my* face too! Don't forget about hats and sun-resistant clothing (like rashguards for the beach); these can really help as well. :good:

As far as bug spray, I know some people are concerned about DEET (the active ingredient in most mosquito repellant), but I've found that the "natural" types of repellant just don't work. Maybe we have industrial strength mosquitoes, but anything less than Deep Woods Off is completely useless. We have a lot of West Nile virus in our area, so I'd rather risk the DEET than potentially have my boys exposed to a life-threatening illness.

Hope this helps! :)

1 person likes this.
  3. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

We just use regular mosquito repellent. I believe our Dr. gave us an age they could use it and what percentage of deet it should have/shouldn't have. Last year, we had our backyard sprayed for mosquitos and we couldn't have been happier. It was garunteed for a full month and they told us if we ever saw one mosquito to call them back and they'd respray. We didn't ever have to call. Our neighbor would be hitting her arms and yelling about her mosquitos and asked us a million times why they weren't driving us crazy. I don't think she believed us that the spray they used on the yard worked that well. We used Nutragena pure baby for awhile for sunscreen. But, my DD's eczema seems to have gotten worse as she's gotten older and we had to switch. We have to use Vanicream lotion for her and found that they make a Vanicream Sunscreen so we bought some a couple of months ago and so far so good. No break outs with it and it works well and is easy to put on. The other two, I tend to use that on their faces and then use a spray sunscreen on the rest of their bodies due to the ease of it.

4. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

This site rates sunscreen from best to poor... Sadly all the ones you find for cheap are usually not good, don't protect enough or are full of toxic chemicals. We still used that last year but this year we're going to try and find a better one...

5. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

Caribbean Solutions this is the one that we have, it is great. Nice and thick, and we haven't gotten any burns.

I loved the website she suggested above, pretty much any that are sprays are not rated very good.

the information on this website is really good, it does explain several things, one of which is that the spf isn't better if it's higher... that just gives you a false sense of security.

good luck!

6. dra1408

dra1408 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice everyone!
    This is a great website! Thank you for providing it!

7. stephsoss

stephsoss Well-Known Member

We use Johnson & Johnson, which is a level 2 (good) sunscreen according to the EWG website mentioned above. We use California Baby bug spray.

8. tracilynn

tracilynn Well-Known Member

So interested in having this done in my yard, Who did you call? Was it a nationwide chain? Thanks!

9. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

We used a local company, but I know I've seen some nationwide companies advertise for it too. Contact some of the pest control and lawn care companies and I'm sure you'll find some that do it.

10. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

I look for sunscreens with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide. This year i I bought the Water Babies Pure and Natural and it rubs in pretty well and is effective. Last year we used the Johnson and Johnson brand and it is also a natural sunscreen, but doesn't rub in quit as well.

We've never use insect repellant here because we don't have a big problem with insects.