Sweet 16 ideas (also dress dilemma)

Discussion in 'General' started by KrisW, Apr 6, 2008.

1. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

The girls will be 16 in September and I want to do something fun,cool, big etc... for them. I have not discussed with dh yet - just doing some thinking out loud right now.

I think this is a big thing - they will only turn 16 once and want it to be special. Of course we can't afford the big huge parties like they showed on MTV. LOL

They love music and dancing so I thought I would try to find a place to have a party and a dj or something and need to start saving $$ now. I dont know WHERE to have it - our house is too small.

Also- if we were to do something like this - maybe they'd want to have a nice fancy dress to wear???

The other dilemma we have is that their youth group (for teens with special needs) is having a "Prom"type dance in May and we looked for dresses and even at the cheap store at the mall they were near $100 each. YIKES. Not to mention that they are all strapless and low cut for older girls etc.... not really appropriate for a nearly 16 yr old that is way too skinny.

If we found one that fit them etc... would it be tacky to wear it for this prom thing in May and then wear it again come September? Alot of the same friends would be at both events.

I'm just torn as to what to do for them - I even looked at patterns for dresses and still none that are age appropriate and not sure if having step-MIL make two of them is cheaper than buying????

Or do I just ask them what they want to do? They of course would love a party or dance so I know what their answer would be. LOL

2. annikaRAWR

annikaRAWR Well-Known Member

I think you should ask the girls, it would be much easier for you if they helped too !

3. Amy R.

Amy R. Well-Known Member

I also need help in this area. All my daughter's ideas contain of things that aren't going to happen. If she had a choice, she'd spend 1000s of $$ on it. :)

4. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

Check out consignment & second hand stores. They often have tons of amazing dresses there. People buy them, wear them once and then have no use for them.

As an added bonus.....it's a green thing to do.

5. CatherineMay

CatherineMay Well-Known Member

I agree on scouting around second-hand stores. Depending on where you live, you might find some really nice things that your girls could use for their party. I live in a country town so gowns are fairly rare, but you never know what you could find; Pretty in Pink is such a perfect example of this, hehehe. :p

Another thing, though I don't know if this will be helpful... but I always reserved "The Dress" moments for formals and things. Parties are a lot more relaxed, dress wise, and it'd be a lot easier to get away with some pretty necklaces and a simple top. Just as a thought, of course. :)

6. niftywriter

niftywriter Well-Known Member

QUOTE(KrisW @ Apr 6 2008, 10:22 PM) [snapback]708430[/snapback]
    The girls will be 16 in September and I want to do something fun,cool, big etc... for them. I have not discussed with dh yet - just doing some thinking out loud right now.

I think this is a big thing - they will only turn 16 once and want it to be special. Of course we can't afford the big huge parties like they showed on MTV. LOL

They love music and dancing so I thought I would try to find a place to have a party and a dj or something and need to start saving $$ now. I dont know WHERE to have it - our house is too small.

Also- if we were to do something like this - maybe they'd want to have a nice fancy dress to wear???

The other dilemma we have is that their youth group (for teens with special needs) is having a "Prom"type dance in May and we looked for dresses and even at the cheap store at the mall they were near $100 each. YIKES. Not to mention that they are all strapless and low cut for older girls etc.... not really appropriate for a nearly 16 yr old that is way too skinny.
    If we found one that fit them etc... would it be tacky to wear it for this prom thing in May and then wear it again come September? Alot of the same friends would be at both events.

I'm just torn as to what to do for them - I even looked at patterns for dresses and still none that are age appropriate and not sure if having step-MIL make two of them is cheaper than buying????

Or do I just ask them what they want to do? They of course would love a party or dance so I know what their answer would be. LOL

I definitely don't think it would be tacky to recycle the dresses! My Gosh! I think it is wasteful how often we buy outfits and the kids only get to wear them for one occasion! :icon_eek: Now some girls (and boys) might not want to do it, so talk to your girls first, but put it to them as a smart and resourceful thing to do! ;)

My daughters had 2 formals each year of high school (well my older daughter also had two other formals because she was asked to proms at other schools). I was prepared to figure out something to handle these expenditures, but the girls saved me the trouble! Both of them decided to recycle their own dresses over the four years and I never had to ask them. :wub: To be honest, though, I am sure it was more because they loved the dresses so much and couldn't bear not to wear them again than environmental consciousness or financial sense! LOL! But looking back, they are both proud that they had done that for all of those reasons!

P.S. I insisted that they both have new gowns for senior prom, however. ;) I wanted that to be very special for them.

7. 8isgreat

8isgreat Well-Known Member

With my girls....we kind of roll with what we are doing at the moment.....this past couple of years have been a bit tougher on all of us with the twinners coming into our world, plus DH being gone...so we have all had to adjust....but we do something fun...usually a sleep over and make it a big deal.

As for buying a dress that has been already worn....it will be new to your girls!! So...according to my book....that is still new!!! Heck....we even pass clothes down here and they are still considered new to the new person!!!

I include my girls in the planning.....more fun!! Plus....I need to bring them down to the real world!! I have a feeling dd2 will need much more pulling than dd1....she is already walking 3 inches off the floor!!! ^_^