Swimming Lessons

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Brownie110, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Brownie110

Brownie110 Well-Known Member

Just was wondering what it consists of.....Im a nervous wreck..My DH signed them up and didnt ask questions!!!

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Do you know what kind of lessons they are taking? Mine took ISR lessons. You can find info about ISR at infantswim.com

3. Brownie110

No I dont know, he signed them up at our local gym.....I hope they do ISR....thanks for the website......Funny I started crying looking at the website.....I dont think I can watch them struggle to breath or something lol

QUOTE(aimeethomp @ Jun 24 2009, 02:02 PM) [snapback]1366946[/snapback]
    Do you know what kind of lessons they are taking? Mine took ISR lessons. You can find info about ISR at infantswim.com

4. sharerc

sharerc Well-Known Member

It's probably just a mommy and me class. Most likely not ISR. Mine start in a week. I'm not certain what to expect at this point!

5. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

We did a couple of sessions of a Mommy & Me class, then switched to ISR. If it's Mommy (or Daddy) & Me, it's probably just splashing, kicking, blowing bubbles, etc. It should be a fun bonding experience.

ISR is hard to experience as a parent. Lots of tears from the kids, but the trade-off is that I know if my kids fall in the water, they have the skills to make a real effort to try and save themselves. You don't do it for fun, you do it for safety. My kids will be done with their lessons next week, and they now love the water. Their confidence has improved dramatically - it has just been the BEST thing for them, even though it was hard for me sometimes. One of my boys screamed the entire time during Mommy & Me classes, too, and there really wasn't anything to that when we went - he is just hesitant when it comes to new experiences.

Good luck - I hope your whole family loves the lessons!

6. marcymiller

marcymiller Well-Known Member

We are starting a mommy and me class in a couple of weeks but I WISH we could do an ISR class. We don't have any local programs available. Have to drive 45 minutes to get to one! We recently moved to a more rural area (that's why there's nothing local) and luckily we have a pool because summers are hot here. But, it's not fenced. I NEVER take the girls in the back yard. Our landlord said he'd fence it in but still hasn't (he's my FIL too). Scared beyond belief!

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We've tried to sign ours up for a swimming class last week but it was filled up. They explained to us it was blowing bubbles and very basic swim lessons for their age level. Hopefully we'll get in to the next set of classes next month.

8. Brownie110

It is a mommy and me class....DH brought home brochure....so they go tonight, I know they will do fine...its me that Im worried about.....As long as I dont have to drop them in the water I will be ok

QUOTE(itsnancycozzi @ Jun 24 2009, 10:10 PM) [snapback]1367639[/snapback]
    We've tried to sign ours up for a swimming class last week but it was filled up. They explained to us it was blowing bubbles and very basic swim lessons for their age level. Hopefully we'll get in to the next set of classes next month.

9. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(Brownie110 @ Jun 26 2009, 02:39 PM) [snapback]1370197[/snapback]
    It is a mommy and me class....DH brought home brochure....so they go tonight, I know they will do fine...its me that Im worried about.....As long as I dont have to drop them in the water I will be ok

Good luck! Let us know how they do!