Swing sets

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Fran27, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I really want to get one for my kids... although it will probably have to wait until next year.

I'm just not sure where to get it... Really not sure we can build it ourselves and I'd like maybe to put some mulch under or something... but I really don't want to spend $1500 for it either!

Do you have one and where did you get it? Is it really worth it?

2. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

I posted the same question a few weeks ago and pretty much everyone who has one said it was well worth the money. I was very close to getting the one at Costco but last night I measured our backyard and found out it won't fit because you need an additional 6ft of obstacle free safety zone. :grr: Pretty much all the playsets with swings won't fit in our yard because of this.

I found a company that installs playsets and I was going to use them. Except for my BF, I really don't have any other guys I could ask to help and it would have taken him/us forever to put it together. It would have taken the company about 4-6 hours to do it.

This is the one I was going to get. It's $999 and feel it's a great set for the money.

They do sell playsets for small backyards, but I'm finding they are almost twice the cost. :umm:

3. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I must have missed that thread!

BJs has a lot on sale right now too but there's just no way we'll be able to install it by ourselves... I don't think space will be an issue at least. Sorry it is for you, that stinks! The one you linked looks very nice! I think I want a normal slide though... What is a good age for swing sets anyway? Dh wants to wait until next year and I guess it's probably a good idea (they'll be 4)... Creative playthings is the company that makes their own in the area, I just can't find any feedback about them regarding price etc.

4. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Swingsets are great... and they last forever. We bought ours (a wood set that my husband built and installed) when our girls were just over 2. They could do most of the stuff, but weren't good at the rock wall or the two person swing. Now that they're almost four they're masters of everything and play on it every day. It's the first thing their friends run to, and seems to interest kids from 2 - 10.

If you can't install it yourself, you could hire a handy man or someone from Craigslist to install it for you. Look into one of the no-cut kits from Home Depot or Lowes; all your handy man would have to do is assemble it, not actually cut the lumber.

5. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

We got ours when our girls were 2 1/2 and they've played on it almost every day since then. We got ours from a local dealer (swingsets, sheds, etc), and bought a 'floor model.' We were able to negotiate the price and got a lot of our money.

6. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We have a big set from costco from about 2 yrs ago, my inlaws bought it for the kids. We had bought a much smaller set from lowes similar to this except it had a third swing, a twoseater on it. It was perfectly find and the kids loved it! However, a few years ago, my mil went on a spending spree and decided on a whim we *needed* a bigger playset since we were having twins. She was later diagnosed as being bipolar....anyways, we didn't really *need* a bigger set, but we have it now anyways.

This is ours now. We don't have any mulch underneath it, just good old dirt and grass :) The kids have fallen a few times off the swings, we've had a couple bumped heads and skinned elbows but nothing major :lol:

7. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

get a used one... do you have a craigslist.com in your area or something?

we got an awesome one on a house that my dad who is realtor was selling... and the buyer didn't want it so it was FREE! we had to dismantle and transport and reassemble. they've been playing on it since 12 mo. old! they love the swings, slides and climbing into the clubhouse part. I would NOT say to wait... you might as well get another year use out of it.

we don't have mulch under it yet, but we did put indoor outdoor carpet in the bottom of the shaded square section... keeps the weeds out and is kinda a nice "floor".

8. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Ditto this.

We got ours used for $100 and it was a 600$+ set and in GREAT shape, we got 3+ years out of it until we moved. It had two swings, monkey bars, a slide, a tented 'fort/clubhouse' on top w/ ssnd box underneath , and a place for rotating swing/trapeze bar/rocker/etc. It was 'smaller' but perfect- esp for the price and our yard was smaller so no need for the huge Rainbow sets.

DH/ his dad & a neighbor took an afternoon/evening reassembling it.

I also would suggest this year. Mine started playing on it at age 2- we just used swings w/ backs. and added a handrail for the steps up to the slide. 3 is a wonderful age!

9. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Ok I'll try and convince dh to look into it this year... lol

10. twointheoven

twointheoven Well-Known Member

We bought one at Christmas time. This one

Walmart has a great selection of swing sets for affordable prices, and you get free shipping if you have it sent to the store and pick it up.

11. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

I second the craigslist idea. We bought an awesome one off craigslist for $600 and looks brand spanking new after a coat of stain (two clubhouses, two slides, picnic table, sand box, monkey bars, swings, glider). We were scouting them for about 6 months before we found ours. This will be the first full summer with it and they already LOVE it!!! One of our best purchases! I love craigslist :)

12. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

We went ahead and ordered one today... more expensive but lifetime guarantee and it's free installation. We'll get it in two weeks... can't wait!

13. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Which one did you buy? I'm interested in the free installation! We've been thinking about buying one (even though my DDs are 5.5 already) but there is no way we have time to assemble it ourselves.

14. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

From creative playthings... not cheap :(