switching from neosure?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by kmbsonrisa, Jun 3, 2009.

1. kmbsonrisa

kmbsonrisa Well-Known Member

Our boys are almost 8 months old (7 months adjusted) and they have been on neosure since day one b/c they were preemies. at 7 months (6 months adjusted) our dr. said to switch them to regular similac. well when we did that they were pooping like crazy... very watery and smelled like vinegar! So crazy we were changing in and out of onesies on a daily basis... sometimes multiple times in one day. so they put the boys on similac sensitive. well they started spitting up much more than usual. so then they said do the similac soy. well they are still spitting up. has this happened to anyone else?
    i also switched them to stage 2 food and maybe shouldnt have because they sometimes spit that up. i am just kind of lost as to what to do. does sthe neosure maybe have more protein in it? i also give them solids right after their bottles. should i try and space it out a bit more? maybe it is too much? but i did it right after with the neosure and it was fine. AHH! sorry. i just want their little bellies to be OK. any advice?

thx so much :)

2. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

how fast are you switching? are you doing it gradually over the course of several days or just mixing up a bottle and slamming them into a whole new food?

3. ymillenbaugh

ymillenbaugh Well-Known Member

My boys are still on Neosure and from what I've heard its the harshest on their little systems. I would think if they did fine on Neosure, they probably don't have a milk allergy. I would try to gradually mix the new stuff in with the old and see if that helps. Once I gave them regular Similac because I ran out of the Neosure and figured it would just be OK.... not so much. They refused to eat most of it and spit up the little they did eat.

If all else fails, can you just go back to the Neosure?? Our pedi said that even though the boys have caught up in weight, the neosure still gives them extra vitamins and whatnot. At 6 mo he said it was our choice to stop or not, but he would recommend staying on it until 9 months.

Good luck!

4. kmbsonrisa

We are just slamming in to them! It never even occurred to me to combine the 2 formulas to ease them into it. I guess I thought the opposite... that it would upset their little bellies. Thx for the idea! Why doesn't the ped offer these suggestions? Some of you should be making the big bucks like the doctors!

5. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

:lol:

do 3/4 neosure and 1/4 new formula for a few feedings, then do 1/2 and 1/2, then do 1/4 and 3/4, then transition all the way. give yourself a week to get fully transitioned. good luck and take it slow!

6. kmbsonrisa

QUOTE(piccologirl @ Jun 3 2009, 10:18 PM) [snapback]1340175[/snapback]
    :lol:

do 3/4 neosure and 1/4 new formula for a few feedings, then do 1/2 and 1/2, then do 1/4 and 3/4, then transition all the way. give yourself a week to get fully transitioned. good luck and take it slow!

Thank you so much! Great idea :) Now I wonder if I need to keep them on the soy formula or if I would be OK to do just the sensitive? My DH and I were talking about it last night and we also wonder if we are giving them too much formula. I usually do 8, 6, 6, and 8 with 3 solid meals. 2 of those solid meals being oatmeal (with formula and rice cereal mixed with fruit and formula) so today i only gave 6 oz in the morning and then their oatmeal and bananas. Man it would be so much easier if they could just say "Hey mommy, we like the sensitive formula best. Just ease us into it and do everything else the same."

7. muscaria10

muscaria10 Well-Known Member

DD and DS were on Neosure too and when we switched to Similac, DS started spitting up and loose stools (big time!) Then we went onto Enfalac AR for him to reduce the spitting up (which did) and subsequently the stools got better too.

8. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

Any luck with the formula change yesterday? I was thinking if you want to do less at once, maybe add in a bottle. Do the first one and second 4oz. I don't know, just another suggestion! I also think you need to give it a week. It would be okay to go back to Neosure too if it doesn't work. When we made the transition to milk, we did the formula/milk combo thing too. It worked much better than going cold turkey. I would think it would be the same for different types of formula.

9. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

How is it going now that you are going a little slower with the transition? :hug:

10. kmbsonrisa

QUOTE(mommymeg @ Jun 5 2009, 06:56 AM) [snapback]1341941[/snapback]
    Any luck with the formula change yesterday? I was thinking if you want to do less at once, maybe add in a bottle. Do the first one and second 4oz. I don't know, just another suggestion! I also think you need to give it a week. It would be okay to go back to Neosure too if it doesn't work. When we made the transition to milk, we did the formula/milk combo thing too. It worked much better than going cold turkey. I would think it would be the same for different types of formula.

Thanks so much! We actually decided to go back to neosure for a little bit to get them regulated. Then when we switch (I think we will do the similac sensitive) we are going to do the combo thing where we ease them into it. I feel like such a moron for not thinking of that. I really feel like the ped should have told me that, but maybe they thought I would be smart enough to figure it out. Ha! Anyways, my sister is getting married in a week and we are walking down the aisle with the boys. So we figured they do well with the neosure so we will put them on that to avoid any messes for her big day. Plus then we can ease them into the new formula.
    Thanks so much! And your pic is absolutely adorable! Just precious!