Switching to seperate bedrooms at 4

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cjk2002, Jan 19, 2012.

1. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

My boys just turned 4 and for the past two months or so, one will wake up early and then wake the other one up. Today, this happened REALLY early at 6:00 :grr: One DS is better than the other as far as not waking up his brother.

They've shared their room since birth. My one DS is all for it, the other one, I'm not sure how he will handle it. I would need to convert their playroom and split up their toys between rooms to make space for the bed. It would not be a huge project since over the fall we painted their playroom with a space theme.

Anyone else switch to seperate bedrooms around this age?

2. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Usually when this happens I tell them it's too early and to go back to bed, and I just put them in bed earlier that night.

I'm not planning on separating mine until they ask, lol.

3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We separated shortly before 4. Alice was very excited to have her own room, Royce was very sad. But he's fine now. Just do it, everyone will get better sleep soon.

4. cjk2002

Well, my one DS has been asking for a good month now.

I had a burst of energy this afternoon and decided to move my one DS's bed into the playroom. He was very excited and helped. My other DS was downstairs and did not know what was going on. When he came up and seen that it was just his bed in their room he too was excited. I moved all the toys he got for Christmas in his room and right now they are both happy.

With my two once they wake up, they are up for the day.

I guess the real test will be tonight at bedtime and tomorrow morning.

5. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Oh they don't go back to sleep but at least I get to sleep LOL.

Looks like it's going well, good luck!

6. cjk2002

Bedtime was a non event. They each went to the seperate rooms with no problem. My one DS who is now in a different room was a little scared after I turned off the light so I gave him his glow light and he was fine.

The real test now is tomorrow morning.

7. cjk2002

Three nights of seperate rooms and they are now back to sleeping 11 1/2 & 12 hours :woohoo: With them in the same room, the most they would get on a any given night would be 10 1/2 - 11 hours. As soon as one would wake up, he would wake up the other. Even bedtimes are so much different; there is zero talking and it takes them about 5-10 minutes tops to fall asleep.

The only real problem I'm having is the one who wakes up earlier wanting to go in the other's bedroom. I told his brother that I would lock his door from the inside so he can't get in and that when he wants to come out to unlock it.

8. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

We seperated bedrooms when the twins were 4.5 years old before Kindergarten started. It's been a blessing (other than our bedroom got smaller because of it) ever since! Good luck! We were worried that one would go into the other bedroom, but they are on different levels, so it has not been an issue. Good luck!