swollen ankles

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Heathermomof5, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

You guys have been so wonderful answering all of my questions and giving me peace of mind!! I am sorry but I have another one!!
    My ankles are swollen today - I don't have any other symptoms - I feel fine just swollen ankles! I did not have this problem with any of my single babies! Dh said just to keep them propped up and the swelling will get better? Do you think that is enough or should I
    call the doctor??

2. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

You guys have been so wonderful answering all of my questions and giving me peace of mind!! I am sorry but I have another one!!
    My ankles are swollen today - I don't have any other symptoms - I feel fine just swollen ankles! I did not have this problem with any of my single babies! Dh said just to keep them propped up and the swelling will get better? Do you think that is enough or should I
    call the doctor??

3. Babygus0

Babygus0 Well-Known Member

I've not had problems with my ankle swelling but my feet have swollen. The Dr. told me to drink more water.( I swear I am going to float away one day) and to put my feet up. So I do think it's normal.

4. stephsboys

stephsboys Well-Known Member

Heather,
    You are at about the same stage Stephanie was when her "cankles" took over. They were HUGE, we all would have sworn that she had pre-e but she didn't.. They actually got worse once she had the babies, and now at 4 days out they are just starting to get back to normal. As pp's have said the more you can keep your feet up the better off you will be.
    Lindy mom to Stephanie

5. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

Try to drink more, the more you drink the less you will retain. Try to keep your feet up. I found that putting a couple pillows under my mattress where my feet are at night really helped.

Generally speaking swelling is normal. If it is extreme (pitting) or accompanied with headaches, vision problems, high blood pressure, protein in urine then it could be cause for medical attention. If it is just swelling alone then it is quite normal.

6. Laura in Alaska

Laura in Alaska Well-Known Member

I mentioned my poofy ankles to my RE last week and she said it was a circulation issue. That the blood just isn't getting all the way down to my feet and back very well. I also have a low blood count right now...but i don't know if those two things are related or not.

HTH~ Laura