Swollen tonsils

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by emp59, Nov 16, 2012.

1. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

DD has been SUPER cranky the last few days and has had trouble sleeping. Today she told me that when she yawns her mouth hurts in the back. I checked and her tonsils are definitely swollen. I've never really dealt with anything like this before. I can take her to the doc on Monday, but is there anything I should be doing? Her temp isn't above 100 so I'm not worried about that. She's just uncomfortable and I'm not really sure how to make that better.

2. abrinka

abrinka Well-Known Member

I would give ibuprofen or Tylenol whichever you give your kids for pain. I am also giving my guys honey when they complain of throat pain, either adding in their tea or by spoon. That seems help a lot.Have her drink lots of fluids.

3. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would do motrin too. If the sore throat gets worse it could be strep so I would definitely get it checked.

My twin daughter had a horrible croupy cough last week, took her in and her tonsils were HUGE. He gave her steroids for 3 days and it reduced the swelling tremendously, and her croupy cough is now just a normal cold cough.

4. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that. She might have viral infection. Check her throat see she has sore throat. If it is viral infection, she might have ear infection after 1 week or 2. If u see her throat is red, ask for a strep thoat test on monday. In the mead time, yean give her tylenol or ibuprofen. This nasty stuff is going around right now. Hope she feels better by now.

If she has sore throat, u can also give her some honey (little colds honey elixir. It works wonder)