Talking back...

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by debbie_long83, May 14, 2010.

1. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

Lately our girls have been talking back somewhat... It's really kinda caught me off guard. For instance, if I say something like, "Hannah stop that," she'll say, "No, Mommy, you stop! YOU go to time out!" Or sometimes they'll say, "You better listen to me! You hear me?" I know some of it is just repeating things they've heard (sometimes they put their baby dolls in time out) but sometimes they are honestly talking back to us! Does anybody else's two year olds do this?? :crazy: :drown:

2. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

My girls have recently started doing this as well! :gah: I have tried reinforcing the fact that it is unacceptable to talk like that, with no luck so far. :( I will be following this thread closely to see if anyone else has any better ideas that have worked.

3. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

Thanks Kyrstyn, at least I know I'm not alone. Maybe it's just a phase... hope so anyways!

4. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

I think all kids go through this. I never made a big deal out of it unless they were really being disrepectful or defiant. Most of the time I would remind them they couldn't talk to me that way and they needed to change their tone then we moved on. Very little reaction to it actually helped it pass more quickly I think. Also, if they were saying no but still doing what I asked, I completely ignored the no and praised them doing the task. That helped too. We still have moments (and they are almost 5!) but it's not the constant battle it was at 2.

5. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Yeah, mine are doing this too. My older DS never did this! You definitely aren't alone. The power of being able to express yourself is huge for 2-year-olds - the benefit of having toddlers that can express themselves well is that it seems like tantrums become less frequent b/c they can just tell you how they feel instead of throwing a fit. That's what I tell myself anyway when they are in the middle of telling me how they really feel! LOL

Just a few days ago, Sullivan was going through my purse and when my DH walked over to tell him not to and move him along to something else, Sullivan said, "NO, NO Daddy!! Go away. Go see Mommy RIGHT NOW!" :laughing: We were both somewhat shocked and just basically told him that it is not nice to talk to people like that, blah, blah, blah.

6. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

oh my... we're in the same boat... but (ha ha thankfully) ours don't actually talk in so many words yet... so I guess we're not getting the full "talking back thing" yet... we get a lot of "no no" and they run away. I've also started telling them they can't do that.

7. katzmeaow

katzmeaow Well-Known Member

Hello, my LOs will be 2 in two months so I decided to take a peek a this forum to see what I'm in for! I have to admit the "talking back" is quite funny afterwards because they are learning to communicate, not when it's actually happening and you're not very happy. My DD is talking way more than her brother and today she refused to eat her breakfast because I moved her bowl one inch to the left. She wants ALL things her way. She wanted to throw her bowl, but I took it before she dumped all the food. She was so angry with me! She yelled "No! GO!". Lately, she pushes me away and will give me the silent treatment as she pouts. She is one fine actress! I'm just worried about my DS learning the bad behavior and both tag teaming me when they can talk more and I will have my hands full. I like to stay optimistic and think (hope) it will be the "terrific" two's and not the terrible two's. Yikes!

8. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I could have written that post! ugh!!! My dd is very "determined"! and I have that same thing... she wants things a certain way. As I saw your post it made me think that I probably need to talk out loud more to explain what I'm doing... and ask her more questions to help her be part of the decision to do things.

oh my, its tiring isn't it?! :rolleyes:

9. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh yes, the talking back is tiring. I'd like to see other ideas too because I am not sure what I am doing is working.
    Just last night, my DH would not allow DD to do something (I can't remember what) and she said, "I hate you, Daddy!" I said, "WHAT?" and she said it again.
    I took in her room and told her why that is not a nice thing to say and that she is to apologize (granted, I had to rehearse it with her) but when he came back into the room with DS, she did say, "I sorry Daddy. Hug?"

10. belinda07

belinda07 Well-Known Member

Mine have just started talking back - even laughing when I tell them off (DD that is). Getting very willful indeed. They are also teething......Im in toddler hell. lol.