Talking to himself

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cm301263, Sep 7, 2013.

1. cm301263

cm301263 Well-Known Member

Doesn't happen all the time but now & then as I am sitting on the couch in the living room...I can hear one of my sons talking to himself in his crib. I can't make out exactly what it is about but I was just curious if this is normal... :rolleyes:

2. mommymauro

mommymauro Well-Known Member

i don't know if its normal ;) but all my kids did... though oldest was more making up stories to the picture book we had tucked in there with him than talking to himself... one time when Nate was only 2 1/2 i heard him randomly singing over the baby monitor "you spin me right round baby right round, like a record player , right round, round round" ^_^

1 person likes this.
  3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I hope so- my boys do it and I still talk to myself to work out personal issues or conflicts I'm struggling with. For me it clarifies my position and prepares me for a conflict.

4. southernmommy

southernmommy Well-Known Member

Totally normal. My girls talk to themselves in the mirror. They'll ask themselves questions like, "Megan do you think I look pretty?" and then answer themselves, "Yes Megan I do think you're pretty"

5. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

It's totally normal. It is just the way their minds work at this point. They vocalize their thoughts. It's good for them to hear themselves and be able to communicate. I loved listening to my boys talk to themselves. Cameron did it more often than Kiefer did. Cameron is also much more of a social butterfly than Kiefer. Kiefer has a harder time opening up to people right away. He's more reserved. Cameron's need to talk out his thoughts, I believe has a lot to do with his ability to both communicate and relate to his friends and adults. It helps with socializing. Being able to express themselves out loud to themselves allows them a way to practice communicating to others.

6. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

I used to talk to myself alot. I still do when I do grocery. And I'm a software engineer. So I hope it's normal. My girl does sometime as well