tandem nursing on the plane!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by SeattleLisa, Feb 12, 2008.

1. SeattleLisa

SeattleLisa Well-Known Member

We flew to DC over the weekend to visit DH's father with the babies. They were absolutely perfect on both flights. And on the way out I tandem nursed them on the plane!

My husband thought I was crazy for asking him to take a picture of this. But I don't think he realizes what an accomplishment it is, and I really wanted to capture the memory, and be able to share. I was very proud of myself.

Here's the picture

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

:wub: How awesome is that???!!! Great picture & I'm glad the trip went well!!

3. bigeyes

bigeyes Well-Known Member

oh my gosh you are amazin!

4. TwinsInOkinawa

TwinsInOkinawa Well-Known Member

Isn't that so cool to be able to do?? I did it once, but mostly I just fed each one by themselves when we have traveled. Good idea on getting the picture!!

Erica.

5. andiemc

andiemc Well-Known Member

Great!! Good for you!

6. debid

debid Well-Known Member

Go, mommy! :clapping: That's a beautiful picture! I completely understand wanting to capture the moment.

I've tandemed on a plane but there is no way my DH would take a picture for me. I only have one photo of tandem nursing the boys and it was at the hospital when they were newborns. I'm tempted to set up the tripod and timer so I'll have evidence to prove to them later that I really did this for them (and I expect them to never forget Mother's Day ;) )

7. jenniej

jenniej Well-Known Member

My hubbie takes my pic all the time if I tandem...I think he is amazed by it.

Hey do others tandem nurse this way? I haven't tried anything but the EZ2 nurse pillow and find it hard when I am alone.

8. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

Awwwee :wub: That is beautiful!!!!!

9. ldwa

ldwa Well-Known Member

You Rock!!! and good for you for getting some evidence to prove it ;)

--from an aspiring twin bf mom to be!

10. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

Wow, you are totally AMAZING!

And what a beautiful picture. Your babies look so content and happy. Just gorgeous. That is so great that you captured that moment. :)

11. lbrooks

lbrooks Well-Known Member

That is a stunning picture of a perfectly wonderful mom and those babies look so content...way to go!

12. ellaila

ellaila Well-Known Member

You just inspired me to give tandem another try! I keep trying it w/the ez2nurse or some other combo of boppys and pillows, but i always find it too awkward and umcomfortable. after seeing your photo, i decided to try it that way - with no pillows - and it actually worked much better -- yeah!!! :yahoo:

so congrats on your achievement -- and thank you!

13. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

WTG!!!

14. snoba

snoba Member

Way to go!

We should all be sure and get pictures, because it truly is amazing, and I have a feeling I'm going to forget this period as soon as it is over! :p

I did something very similar this weekend on a trip to visit my parents, only I was in the driver's seat of our van (parked, of course!). My DH wasn't with me, only my mom and dad, and I know my mom would have thought I was crazy for wanting a picture! She's VERY supportive of my breastfeeding, but still thinks it's something that should only be done in private. My dad won't be any where NEAR while I am nursing!

BTW, if my twins were girls they were going to be Callie and Ella, so I love your DD's name!!

B.A.
    DD 2-28-05
    Identical boys born 8-24-07 at 38 weeks

15. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

WOW Lisa! :bow2: I am totally impressed by you!

16. Jayn

Jayn Well-Known Member

I LOVE IT!!

17. kathmeany

kathmeany Member

Wow! I am so impressed and inspired by you! We will be flying from DC to Texas in March to visit my inlaws who cannot travel. This is their first time seeing the babies in person so it is very important, but I dread the trip since they will be only four months old. I really want to feed them on the plane, but don't know if I have the guts to do it. My husband says just give them bottles and then I pump, but this seems more complicated and stressful to me. Since I don't know when or where to pump.

18. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

19. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

I've been wondering if I had to fly from Australia to N. America how i would do it on the plane if I bf. Thanks to your picture now I know. I feel more inspired now to do it. I've never bf in public before. I hate the idea of having to pump too much while on the plane.... those bathrooms are disusting !

Thanks for the pic.

Heather

20. kuchar

kuchar Well-Known Member

:banana:

That is awesome! That was a great idea to get a picture!

Helen

21. surferspice

surferspice Active Member

WOW! we flew when my girls we 4 mos. but i nursed one and my dh gave the other a bottle of EBM. i always tandem at home but haven't tried it in public. i'm sort of addicted to my ez 2 nurse pillow. now that my girls are a bit older, i'm going to try it again without the pillow. You are awesome! Great pic!
    heather
    lily and sofi are 6 mos.

22. smiley_ca1

smiley_ca1 Well-Known Member

Wow! That's great! You're amazing... I have a few pics of tandeming with the EZ2... I SO would LOVE to learn to do this position, so that I can tandem them when out and without my pillow...KWIM?

Strange question, but it would really help some of us who want to try this out... Could you video tape how you get them on to this position without any help. I'm really not sure of the logistics... Do your babies latch themselves? If not, how do you get them to latch?? With what free hand?

Thanks.

23. SeattleLisa

SeattleLisa Well-Known Member

I'm glad everyone loved my picture!

About getting them into this postion - I can do it by myself, it's just a bit of juggling to get them both settled and get both boobs out. It's much easier if someone can hand you each baby, but it is doable alone. This works best if they are able to latch themselves. Because your hands are full, you can't help them latch much. I can sort of balance one and help the other one latch a little, but they need to pretty much be able to latch themselves with very litttle help. I definitely could not have done this by myself a couple months ago when I had to really work at getting them to latch. But now they are super good at it - if the nipple is anywhere near their face, they can find it and latch on. So that makes this kind of position doable - because I just need to get them settled in my arms, and they do the rest. I've done this one in the car too.

At first we thought we'd give bottles on the plane. But then I realized - where the heck am I going to pump - certainly not in an airplane bathroom - gross! Travelling is certainly one of those times when BFin is so much easier than pumping.

I only did the tandem on one flight - because it was half empty and we had a couple rows to ourselves, so I felt ok being that exposed. We were at the back of the plane and the only people around were the flight attendants. On our return flight it was more full so I just nursed them individually.

24. nepolm

nepolm Well-Known Member

QUOTE(excitedk @ Feb 12 2008, 03:06 PM) [snapback]618223[/snapback]
    Awwwee :wub: That is beautiful!!!!!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: