Tantrums for no apparent reason

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Snittens, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

Sorry for another tantrum post, but my situation didn't seem to fit the other ones.

OK, I can understand the tantrums that have a reason behind them, like I took away something, they don't want to be strapped in the seat, I said no, etc. But this one has got me baffled and I don't really know how to handle it.

Bea will throw a fit for no apparent reason. Today she woke up sort of grumpy from her nap, but not too bad. She seemed OK, and then I don't know what happened, but she ended up screaming and carrying on for an hour. She temporarily calmed down when I held her up to the lightswitch and let her flip that, but that does have to come to an end sometime. My mom came over in the meantime, and took her outside and she eventually calmed down. Then she started up again when I took her shoes off when she came in. The no reason tantrums have happened every few days for a couple weeks now. It could be teething, so I medicate just in case. So far, my strategy after I have exhausted the normal wants (hunger, thirst, binky, sleep, attention, etc) is to ignore it. My mom didn't like that I was doing that, and kept trying to find things to amuse her. Well, I do that to an extent, but if nothing is working, then I let her have a fit, say "let me know when you are done" and go on.

Anyone else going through this? How do you handle it?

2. Snittens

Sorry for another tantrum post, but my situation didn't seem to fit the other ones.

OK, I can understand the tantrums that have a reason behind them, like I took away something, they don't want to be strapped in the seat, I said no, etc. But this one has got me baffled and I don't really know how to handle it.

Bea will throw a fit for no apparent reason. Today she woke up sort of grumpy from her nap, but not too bad. She seemed OK, and then I don't know what happened, but she ended up screaming and carrying on for an hour. She temporarily calmed down when I held her up to the lightswitch and let her flip that, but that does have to come to an end sometime. My mom came over in the meantime, and took her outside and she eventually calmed down. Then she started up again when I took her shoes off when she came in. The no reason tantrums have happened every few days for a couple weeks now. It could be teething, so I medicate just in case. So far, my strategy after I have exhausted the normal wants (hunger, thirst, binky, sleep, attention, etc) is to ignore it. My mom didn't like that I was doing that, and kept trying to find things to amuse her. Well, I do that to an extent, but if nothing is working, then I let her have a fit, say "let me know when you are done" and go on.

Anyone else going through this? How do you handle it?

3. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with you. My kiddos will throw random tantrums, and after I have exhausted the obvious (hunger, thirst, dirty diaper, binky, etc.), then I just let them ride it out. I have found that they settle down faster if I ignore it.

Good luck. I hear that this is one of those lovely pre-verbal phases.

4. thompsontwinners

thompsontwinners Well-Known Member

It could be an ear infection. Mine will throw tantrums or get very needy or both when they are sick. This happened with our first ear infection but didn't know until it got soo bad. They did not have fevers either. So, you might want to get it checked out just to be on the safe side. Odd behavior might be a symtom with your kids. Good luck!

5. jem0622

jem0622 Well-Known Member

I agree with PP. If it isn't fueled by anything then she is either ill or tired.

6. Snittens

I'm fairly certain at least yesterday's tantrum was behavioral, since she stopped right away when I let her flick the lightswitch. They have their 15 month checkup on Tues, so I'll make sure he checks the ears and I'll mention the tantrums, see if the doctor has any insight.
    She also threw a big hissy fit at breakfast this morning. I was handing her a spoon with yogurt on it (we're learning utensils now), and I was turning it so she could take it by the handle, but she was trying to take it by the spoon part, I swear I didn't do anything and I wasn't raising my voice, but she started screaming and crying. I had to walk away for a few minutes and let DH take over. She was fine for him of course.

7. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

I so remember that stage. It does get better honest, once they can verbalize.

Maybe she just woke up in a bad mood (I guess we all do). My girls now sometimes come in and just don't want to take off their shoes, if I do it without asking a tantrum can occur, so if she can't verbalize it to you, then frustrated.

I do think once they get into a state if u can't calm them (it just makes worse), then ignoring is best as then it doesn't fuel. And also doesn't want to get used to having attention for negative behaviour.

Good luck

amanda (mom of jorja and jessica 3)

8. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by twoin2005:
    I tend to agree with you. My kiddos will throw random tantrums, and after I have exhausted the obvious (hunger, thirst, dirty diaper, binky, etc.), then I just let them ride it out. I have found that they settle down faster if I ignore it.

Good luck. I hear that this is one of those lovely pre-verbal phases.

I agree with Kate. If there doesn't seem to be a reason then I just ignore them and they usually sort it out pretty quickly. Sometimes the more attention I pay to the situation the worst it escalates.

9. Snittens

quote:
    Originally posted by FirstTimeMom814:
    Sometimes the more attention I pay to the situation the worst it escalates.

Exactly! Now tell that to my mom. [​IMG] I don't want them thinking Mommy puts on a show and dance for their amusement everytime they throw a fit.

10. Holly Wiebe

Holly Wiebe Well-Known Member

I agree with pp when they talked about it getting better when they can talk and tell you what they want. My Nate will do that occasionally. Just throw himself on the floor and kick his feet and scream. I have noticed, however, that it does get worse if you begin to laugh out loud at them - for what it's worth.

Holly

11. ruthjulia

ruthjulia Well-Known Member

ugh - cameron does that too - this morning he went nutso and we couldn't figure out why. same as bea he'll calm down if you amuse him, but then when you stop he goes bezerk again. i think this morning it was partly teething, partly being hungry, but i really have no clue. i can't WAIT until he can tell me what's going on and what he wants/ needs.