Teacher facebook friends? it was school policy that the teachers could not 'friend' parents

Discussion in 'General' started by MNTwinSquared, May 7, 2014.

1. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I would never friend their current teacher. I am friends with one of their preschool teachers (after they were out of preschool).  I have contemplated friending G's 1st grade teacher and L's kindi teacher, but I've not done it. They are currently in 2nd grade.

2. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Our kids attend a small public elementary school. I, along with many others, are FB friends with the office person - but I never post about school. She does once in a while, usually some vague "everyone sucks" kind of post, but it doesn't bother me.

However some of the teachers are active FB'ers and Jake's first grade teacher this year blocked me. We had some issues and he was moved, but I had no intention of friending her - but it really bothered me when she blocked me. My privacy settings are pretty high (I think) where my statuses can't be seen by others. How I know she blocked me is she is friends with some of the parents and we both posted on a thread. Next thing I knew, I was blocked. Now people will tag her in a comment and I can't see her comment.

As to the original question, I think it's a bad idea to FB friends with your children's current teachers. While we have a good relationship with Jake's K teacher from last year, obviously things went south this year with his initial first grade teacher. While I don't post any of this on FB, I think part of the reason she hid me is she was concerned she might see something about her. My FB is very generic  - so she wouldn't have seen anything - but I just think it's protection on both sides. I am friends with co workers, although I just started a new job and right now I haven't friended anyone and I'm going to keep it that way for awhile.

At times I think about culling the list so I can be more "myself" online, but it's the only way I have to promote our photography business - so my friend count is a bit higher than I might like.

3. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

While I"m curious and I don't judge people, I'd find it awkward to friend a teacher of one of my boys. If I do see something in their lives I don't feel comfortable with, I'd have been better off not knowing about it. If they are great teachers in the classroom, what they do in their personal lives outside of school is none of my business as long as they don't bring in any poor decisions and behaviors into the classroom.

1 person likes this.
  4. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I had a teacher in high school who also worked nights at the video rental store.  I remember that being awkward and my first intro to how little teachers make.   Another teacher was a waiter at a pizza place my friends and I would go to.  Tipping your economics teacher? Awkward.

5. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Hm, I feel like this could be avoided somehow. I just can't figure it out, though..

6. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

There must be a way, Stephanie. I'd love the opportunity to drop some of our extra income jobs - like tutoring and summer school to supplement our dual teacher family.

7. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

I'm a teacher at a private Christian school.  That being said, I am not friends with any of my students' parents.  They haven't asked and I wouldn't friend them anyway.  I would like to keep my private life just that, private.  Plus, I don't need my middle schoolers going on their parent's computer and seeing my profile.

Our school has a policy that we are not to friend students.  We had one unfortunate episode with that and the school is very strict about it.  I agree with the policy.

In terms of co-workers, I am friends with only two of them.  We are good friends and I trust them.  It is tricky, because my co-workers are also my kids' teachers, so I don't want to go down that path.

8. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am not friends with the kids' teacher or para. I did stalk to see if they are online thanks to this thread, but couldn't narrow it down to find the teacher.

I don't think I'd want to see the stuff they'd post during the year; like Steph, it would color my perception. Currently, I like the kids' teacher and trust her to make good decisions during school hours. I would probably accept a request if one was sent to me, but I don't usually refuse a person I know, anyway. 

9. Katheros

Pay teachers more?  No, that's too easy.  Perhaps they should be forced to work in other towns so students don't awkwardly run into them while blowing their parents' money that could better be used in taxes to pay teachers more....

1 person likes this.
  10. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Yes, you've got it! ;)

1 person likes this.
  11. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Kate, that's brilliant!! Lol

1 person likes this.
  12. Katheros

I should run for office!  Except I don't live in my state of residence... could be a little complicated.

13. Letchei63

Letchei63 New Member

It is quite convenient and effective to get the attention of audience for your website with the help of ppc and facebook ads services. You know I also hired the expert services for these campaigns for my business and was able to get good results. In fact have been using these modes till now.

14. Kessedi

Kessedi Well-Known Member

Wow! Having a teacher as a friend is probably very useful. You could also ask the teacher for help with tutoring. This is a successful friendship in my opinion. It is a pity that I do not have teachers in my friends and I have to solve all academic issues with the help of essay writing services. But I'm not discouraged...