TEETH GRINDING!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by babymOmmax2, Apr 27, 2009.

1. babymOmmax2

babymOmmax2 Well-Known Member

Ugh, the boys have figured out how to grind their teeth & it is SO disturbing to listen to. Plus, it can't be good for their teefers. I keep putting my finger to their lips and telling them no-no but clearly they don't understand. Is this just a phase or should I get it checked out?

2. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Mine seem to always do it when they are cutting new teeth. It will last for a week or two (and it is HORRIBLE, like nails on a chalkboard!) and then they will suddenly stop. I've found it is better for me to ignore it though. The few times that I would say "Don't grind your teeth" and put my finger to their mouths - they would smile and immediately grind them again. :rolleyes:

Good luck - and I hope they stop soon!

3. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Probably just a phase, mine do it every now and then too. It is annoying!

4. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

Mine did it at that age too! It was horrible! It did stop pretty quickly though. Hang in there!

5. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

mine did that for a while too. IT's a phase like all the other wonderful sounds they will do for a while. I thought I would lose my mind (I kinda did) during that phase, like fingernails on a chalkboard!

I hope the stage is quick and turn up the music in the meantime.( :laughing: )

6. jenniferkkelly

jenniferkkelly Well-Known Member

My father is a dentist and he said that's pretty typical for this age. In fact, he said the grinding may continue off & on until they get their permanent teeth.

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine go through phases of grinding their teeth too. It is annoying to hear and I am afraid they will lose a tooth but it's nice to read it's normal!

8. Melissatwins84

Melissatwins84 Well-Known Member

I agree it is nice to know it is normal... my kids do it and it really does hurt my ears!!! I say stop, and they just laugh at me, and do it again! I just want to say "KIDS IT"S NOT FUNNY!!!"... Ugh... hopefully they'll stop soon!

9. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

Mine don't really do that so I can't add much... but I can imagine it's frustrating.