teeth grinding

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Beth*J, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

Karina has two bottom teeth and just got one on top. Today she started grinding them together. The infant teacher at daycare said it was constant all day. We've only been home 10 minutes and she's driving me crazy already. Is this a phase that lots of kids go through? Any thoughts on how to stop it. Besides the irritation of the noise, it can't be good for her teeth.

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

It is generally a phase. They are learning textures, what different things feel like and that is a way of discovering their teeth! It is quite annoying though. I hope it passes fast!

3. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I just posted about this in 1-4 last week and I was told that it is a phase, and there is nothing they can do about it anyway because there is no way and infant/toddler can wear a mouth guard, and it's their baby teeth not their permanent teeth. HTH!! I feel your pain, the noise drives me INSANE!!

4. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Both of mine went through this when they got their first top tooth - it lasted about 2 weeks and then it just stopped. I just ignored it (and winced, shivered, etc. on the inside!) and hoped that they would stop once the "newness" of it wore off. It was HORRIBLE, though! That sound.....oh that sound....drove me crazy! :)

5. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Oh we went thru this. UG! Initially I couldn't contain myself and would shudder when they did it. That made them do it more. Once I started ignoring it, they stopped doing it. We did have an occassional relapse, but as long as we ignored it they stopped. Just to warn you, it did go on for a couple weeks though. I shudder thinking about it even now.

6. ca2pa2005

ca2pa2005 Well-Known Member

My dd Megan is doing the same with her bottom two and top tooth. It isn't constant but she does it on and off throughout the day. I am hoping it passes too!

7. 3greysandamutt

3greysandamutt Well-Known Member

My Ben was doing this last week (he was sick all week). He cut all 4 top teeth a few weeks ago, so I think he was just getting used to something new. He has not been doing it this week!

8. ChanceKathleen

ChanceKathleen Well-Known Member

Kylie does this...I give her a toy to chew on or do something that will make her laugh ...lol, i hAte the noise too!

9. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

Yup DS has been doing this on and off for a month. Doesn't seem to hurt him in anyway - just makes me shudder (silently of course because I dont want to encourage it!)