Telling the Boss

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by kellyhod, Jul 22, 2011.

1. kellyhod

kellyhod Active Member

So, I accepted an offer in late June/Early July for my almost dream job. Then I found out I was expecting twins! How do I tell my new boss? I did not know I was pregnant at the time. I don't want to damage a new working relationship, and I don't even officially start work until August (I'm a teacher). Ugh! I am stressing about this. Please send me some advice and thank you.

2. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I accepted a teaching job just two weeks before I found out I was pregnant. I was just devasted at the thought of telling my new principal that I was pregnant. I was so afraid that they would think that I knew that I was pregnant when I interviewed when I actually had no idea. When I found out I was pregnant, I took a few days to gather myself, then I went and talked with my principal and told her that I just found out I was pregnant and explained to her that I had no idea that I was pregnant at the time of the interview or I would have said something. She was very understanding and it turned out that this place was so family oriented that anytime I needed off or had concerns about the babies I was allowed to take off as much time as I needed. It was a fantastic year for me, and this Aug will begin my 7th year of teaching there.

3. kellyhod

kellyhod Active Member

Thanks, your comment makes me feel much better. I will go speak with my principal Monday.

4. Amycplus

Amycplus Well-Known Member

So, how did it go with the new boss? I've been wondering and hoping things went well.

5. Utopia122

Yes, yes, how did it go?

6. kellyhod

kellyhod Active Member

He is out of town til the 8th so I haven't had the chance. Emailing him didn't seem right. What do you think? Email or wait? Thanks ladies

7. Amycplus

I would say wait until you can do it in person. You are still going to take the job and work until you can't, correct? If so, he still has lots of time to plan for the transition and doing it in person allows you to set the tone and build the relationship. If you aren't going to start, you may want to consider a call so he can plan for recruitment to replace you. BTW, this only my opinion as a boss, not from an HR or legal perspective. Hope it helps.

8. kellyhod

kellyhod Active Member

I agree about telling him in person. Thanks

9. Utopia122

Telling him in person definitely, but try not to stress to much about it, everything will work out!

10. kellyhod

kellyhod Active Member

Well I told my principal and he was great about it. He is very supportive. I guess I work with many fertile teachers because there are three more pregnant!

11. Amycplus

So happy for you! I was so relieved to tell my boss and bet you are too!