Temper. Tantrums. WOW!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Danibell, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My 4 yr old boy can pitch the WORST temper tantrums ever! Especially when he's tired! Knock down, drag out, kicking, screaming, flailing tantrum's. And it's a million times worse when it's close to bedtime, or he's had a busy few days and is tired. And he is sooooo stubborn too! He screamed for 45 minutes one night, because *I* had put his pullup on before bed, and he wanted *daddy* to put it on him. My hubby finally had to take the pullup off and put it back on, and then he was happy.

We walk a fine line between not giving in to him, and trying to avoid his tantrum's. Drives.me.crazy!

Anyone else have one (or more) like this? How do you deal with it? Any tips and tricks to share?

2. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

I remember one of the boys very first tantrum. He was 9 months old. I told him "no" and he literally threw himself on the floor (as much as possible since he was crawling not walking) and lay there on the floor kicking and screaming. I wasn't sure if I should laugh or cry.

The only real thing to do at our house is to recognize the triggers. Tired, hungry, had enough, bored, a cloud past over the sun etc. I try really hard to not reach the point of total melt down. When it happens they go to their safe spot with their calm box.

3. mom2gc

mom2gc Well-Known Member

What a good idea about the calm box. How old were your kids when you introduced this?

4. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

They were about 3 years old. I got the idea from a friend of mine's mom who does foster care. She has tons of fantastic ideas. She has had many years of experience and really loves her calm corner.

I do change out items from the calm box on a regular basis. I also offer playdough at the table as a calming activity. I try this before they get worked up.

5. mom2gc

mom2gc Well-Known Member

Thank you, please keep on sharing your good ideas! :)

6. 2xjoy

2xjoy Well-Known Member

I try to intervene3 before tantrums become fully fledged meltdowns using destraction. Or I'll give them a choice of the naughty corner or taking themselves to their book corner in their room and reading quietly. We call this 'quiet time to calm down and be by ourselves'.