Tested positive for group b strep....terrified.

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by mamammbs2, Feb 21, 2009.

1. mamammbs2

mamammbs2 Well-Known Member

Hello ladies,
    I was at the Dr. yesterday and found out I am positive for group b streph. I have had 4 previous births and never tested positive. I went online to read up on it and now I am terrified. There is potential that I will be having a c-section on Tuesday. I will have c-section regardless but Tuesday was just thrown at us yesterday. I will see myperi then ob and they will decide. After reading about step b and that it can cause infant mortality I am totally freaking out because we lost a baby at 20 weeks gestation in 2005. If I have the c-section on Tuesday I will be at 36 weeks 1 day and they say there is a larger increase of problems with GBS babies that are born before 37 weeks. However, I am dialated to a 4 and my Dr. worries I will not make it to 37 weeks before my membranes rupture and would like a more controlled setting like a c-section since there is less chance for ingestion of fluid and contracting GBS. Who has experience with being GBS positive? I am really scared. I have made it this far with a complication free twin pregnancy and now this....ugghhh!

2. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Try and relax.

I had my girls before I could be tested for group B strep, but what what I remember it is very common. I remember since they didn't test me, my girls had to have antibiotics just in case I would have tested positive.

3. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

:hug: Yes, please try and not worry too much about it. I know that is easier said then done. :hug: You and your babies will definately be in my thoughts. :grouphug: Don't look up anymore information on the internet, it won't do you any good.

4. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm glad you dr. is taking precautions. I know it's hard not to worry. :hug: I'll keep you and your babies in my thoughts. :hug:

5. Shadyfeline

Shadyfeline Well-Known Member

It's so not a big deal and is very common. The boys were my first and I tested positive all they do is give you antibiotics through your IV...that's it. GL!

6. nicinthebu

nicinthebu Well-Known Member

I am pos too and its not a big deal if you are pos. It becomes a prob if you are not tested and they dont know. My Dr explained that I just need to make sure L&D knows as soon as I go in so they can give me antibiotics. The internet info is very intense and tells you the worst case senario. Congrats on your babies!!!

7. Kaelan

Kaelan Well-Known Member

i tested positive for GBS with my singleton, and they just gave me meds for it in the IV while i was in labor. The antibiotics burned like noone's business, but the baby was fine. i am expecting i will have it again with the twins.

30W0D mono/di boys

8. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I was positive for it w/ one of my boys. Like PPs said, they just start you on antibiotics (by IV) beforehand. It really wasn't a big deal at all.