the 20 week scan & hoping to keep the gender a suprise!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by E&Msmom, Jul 8, 2009.

1. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

My 20 week scan is on Monday afternoon. More than anything I want the gender to be a suprise. Im going to be sure and tell the doctor (he's a semi retired OB who does nothing but ultrasound these days) that I do not want to know the gender. DH really does want to know but is trying to be respectful of my wishes, aferall we found out the genders of the twins and we have all we need for boy or girl ;)

Anyway...

1. did anyone say they wanted the suprise and left knowing the gender anyway?
    2. did anyone say they wanted the suprise and was able to be suprised at the end????

2. Millie&twins

Millie&twins Well-Known Member

I did not want to know Ella's gender, I really wanted it to be a surprise, I had 4 boys already and knew that a 5th boy would have been awesome and I really wanted a little girl too, so I saw no need to know. I told my OB who scanned me and when she was going over the femur she warned me so that I could look away (I have worked with US and can read them fairly well). In any case unless they look for it or the baby is well endowed or a little exhibitionist it is hard to see anyhow!
    It was so wonderful to hear "It's a girl" at the delivery that I would do it again any time!
    Millie

3. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

I've been surprised with all of my kids. I just tell the ultrasound techs that I'm not finding out and they're really good about not telling. It's marked in my chart too. Even when I was in the hospital for several months getting ultrasounds regularly, the techs and nurses kept it a secret! It was almost like a game for them! It was so fun to be surprised. I always tell my OB to let my DH make the announcement too :)

4. mom23sweetgirlies

mom23sweetgirlies Well-Known Member

I'm in the same situation although I won't be having my 20 week scan for a while still. I found out the genders with all my other kids and really want this one to be a surprise. Like your DH mine would prefer to know so that if it is a boy we can get prepared but I think I've got him to agree to a surprise. I'm going to make sure to tell the Dr. and ultrasound tech that I don't want to know and to please warn me before they go over the parts, after three girls DH and I can pick them out pretty easily. LOL

Good luck with your scan, I'm sure they won't end up telling you. Probably what happens is that people who don't want to know can't stand it and change their minds at the last minute.

5. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

The techs who did my ultrasounds were always so good at not putting in the 'he' or 'she' during the ultrasounds. We did find out, but I was amazed at how their word choices were still neutral.

6. ljmcisaac

ljmcisaac Well-Known Member

Friends of mine wanted to be surprised but then saw "XY" written on the chart....

7. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Well....seeinh how our surprise is only 4 weeks old... LOL!

Yes-it is totally possible! And it's AMAZING! We went for the u/s and the tech asked if we wanted to know. I said no. DH really wanted to know though. I ALMOST caved-for him-and had her tell us. DH said no because I wanted it to be a surprise and I would be upset about knowing it later. The sex is not written on any reports-so the Dr didn't know either.

I thought for sure I would be able to tell the sex due to all of the u/s's I had with the boys, etc. Nope. And even on the 3d u/s photos-I thought I saw boy parts. Nope. So-I was CONVINCED it was a boy...

Boy or girl it didn't matter to me. But there was a lot of pressure for it to be a girl-as we had two boys. Part of the reason I didn't want to find out so I wouldn't have to hear, "Oh-it's another boy. You'll have to try again..." Blah, blah, blah.

So-fast forward to the delivery...DH was able to announce the sex. The baby came out, the Dr said, "What is it?" And dh...stared! LOL! He was SO shocked to see it was a girl-the anesthesiologist whispered in his ear, "it's a girl!" He said it was an experience he will NEVER forget-being able to announce it was a girl. I'm sooooo glad we waited-and would do it again as well!

Good luck on Monday! Can't wait to hear all about it!

8. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

Meaghan,
    Im hoping for the same. I would love for DH to announce whatever it is. I think he will appreciate the miracle of suprise once he gets to experience it.
    Im also amazed at all the posting you've found time to do!!!!! Gives me hope with twin toddlers and a newborn :)