The Anything Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Kendra, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Here is the Anything Thread for July 6-12.

You know the rules by now, keep it within the TOS and have fun.

Topic for the week: What do you think of our new board?

2. Brizzy_Twins

Brizzy_Twins Well-Known Member

I think the new board is awesome. Its very cool.. i love the new look. :)

3. TwinPeshi

TwinPeshi Well-Known Member

I like the random characters in the top left hand corner :p

4. Code

Code Well-Known Member

I like it too, the design is awesome :)

5. Twinrific

Twinrific Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hi everyone. Sorry for my absence the last few days. I'm in North West, we're sorting out wedding things so I've been very busy. I will catch up by the weekend ;)

I love the new site!

6. TwinPeshi

You want us to wait until the weekend? It is only Tuesday! :p

7. Twinrific

I said BY the weekend. I don't know how much I'll be able to get on. I have had troubles with it and I'm also very busy. I have time now so I'm trying to catch up as much as I can.

How is the land of the cold? What have you been doing? and how long will you be there again?

Joyce hope it's going well with the studying! ;)

Gerda tell us about your weekend in the Cape? I'm looking forward to seeing you later today.

8. Twinrific

What are you talking about? Am I being daft?

9. TwinPeshi

Still cold :p The maximum is only supposed to be 19 today which for me is a winter temperature :p I've been lazing about. We're here till next week (the 14th).

Probably :p At the far top left hand corner of every page, there is a string of characters that changes on every page.

10. TwinRichard

TwinRichard Well-Known Member

I don't see that string of characters any more although I did until yesterday.

11. Twinrific

I don't see any characters...?

I agree 19 is winter temperature. It's about 6 degrees here currently and I don't like it. I'm ready for summer!

12. TwinPeshi

You are all blind then because I can certainly see it :p (see attachment)

Attached Files:

13. Twinrific

It doesn't show up in mine ;) promise :p

14. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Leave it to you to notice those!! :p That said, they aren't on mine! I like the new format!

15. starmaker

starmaker Well-Known Member

Not so good :(
    I just got back a bad grade for an exam, it is the one about the project I had to do.
    I totally do not agree with the exam or the result. I studied for it and knew the materials yet still got a really bad grade. :angry:
    I really thought I had finished my last exam and now I need to retake the project exam on friday, this only gives me a few days to study, even though I still have alot of other school things to do in those days as well. :rolleyes:
    Right now I feel close to bursting in to tears from frustration and anger. :(
    Where is that crying emoticon when I need it? :(

16. TwinRichard

That's annoying. Hopefully it goes well the second time. The advantage of doing it soon afterwards is that you still remember what you looked at last time while you would probably have to do it all over again if you were to retake it several months from now. I still don't see the point of an exam on a project though (not a whole test anyway, a few questions might make sense).

17. TwinPeshi

Clearly I must be special then since I still see them even after doing a full refresh (ctrl-F5) :p

Good luck with the exam Joyce. I agree with Richard that it is better to do it sooner rather than later.

18. Twinrific

lol exactly! I also love the new format. There's obviously still some kinks to work out but overall I like it.

I'm really sorry to hear that Joyce :( I hope it goes better on Friday! I'll be keeping you in my thoughts! :hug:

lol you're definitely special. Can't say whether that's always a good thing though :p :lol:

19. TwinPeshi

You can pretend that it is always a good thing :p

20. Twinrific

Joyce I hope things are looking up on your side?

lol, Adrian I guess for you I can :p

I'm back in Gauteng so I'll be able to post more again. It's still freezing here though! I'm really ready for the summer ;)

21. Code

Code Well-Known Member

I'm pretty well starting my pip again!!! a month today til its due!!! eek!

Redone the introduction today - have 5 central chapters to write, my conclusion and finish the annoted reference list and appendix - add one more interview and then write one last log and done! so about 5000 -6000 words to go, in two weeks

Wish me luck - what doesnt kill me will make me stronger!

22. Twinrific

Good luck Code, that is a lot of work!

23. Twinrific

Most of you know already but I'll share the news here as well: My brother got engaged last night! I'm so happy for him and I love his Fiancee, she is an amazing woman.

I attached a recent pic of them. It was taken on their trip to Spain.

24. Code

Code Well-Known Member

I know its a lot of work in a way I had no choice, its the same topic just writing it again to better myself, I have all of my data just have to rewrite it and I have two weeks off so all my time will be spent doing that!

Congrats to your brother!! :)

25. Twinrific

Code I'm sure you'll get through it, Good luck!

Joyce I hope you are still surviving?

Adrian and Richard are you still sulky about the land of the cold or are you starting to have fun?

I'm yet again in the North West Province (and freezing). I'm visiting with my parents, sister, niece and BIL. Obviously enjoying Larissa's company. She is getting so big and chatty now!

26. TwinRichard

I'm still complaining :p It is nice seeing our parents again but nothing much has changed since we were last here and we didn't have the time to go to Nova Scotia like I wanted to. We leave on Tuesday though.

27. Code

Code Well-Known Member

I did a chapter yesterday, today im suffering a migraine so there is no point even writing anything for another chapter it will be rubbish. here is my "new" introduction. Mind you it will be edited and I have to word my hypothesis, which I cannot think of how to do so at the moment!

Introduction

(need a opening here but cant explain it at the moment will come back to it)

This topic is a personal interest of mine because I am a 17 year old twin and it is something that I have been interested in since birth. In every aspect of my life I have been compared to my twin sister, whether we are the same and why we are different? This strong personal feeling has got me interested in exploring whether my twin sister and I are two of the same, or the difference of two.

My hypothesis for my personal interest project is _________________ I am interested in exploring this hypothesis through my focus questions:

Are female twins always close and connected?
    Do female twins who are close and connected feel more or less competitive then twins who are distant and disconnected?
    Do comparisons affect individuals such that female twins who are perceive they are often compared by parents and teachers feel less individual then female twins that perceive they are not often compared?
    Do parents and teachers compare female twins who are close and connected more than twins who are not close or connected?
    How do female twins feel about comparisons and competitions, and how does this affect their level of closeness and connection?

For a cross cultural comparison I will be investigating attitudes about closeness, connections and competitions across males and females to compare the views and attitudes towards being a twin. This will allow both sex and a variety of ages to give their feelings regarding the subject and allows identification of key features of how others feel.

The research methodologies that I have selected to use are mainly qualitative. I chose a qualitative research design because of the richness and in depth of this data that can derived from such designs. The techniques I used are interviews, surveys, observations, personal reflection and secondary research. The use of interviews with a set of female and male identical twins allowed me to gather understanding of other individual’s feelings and thoughts in relation to closeness, connection and competition. I conducted three different surveys were conducted aimed at twins from a variety of age groups, parents of twins and also teachers to see how twins feel and how other people in society view twins. Behavioural observations were carried out between a numbers of sets of fraternal and identical to observe the closeness, connections and the competitions they have. Secondary resources such as books, internet sites, journals and newspaper articles allowed me to gather information on nature and nurture and the genetics of twins to see which has the greater influence. Through the use of personal reflection I am able to use my past experiences of being a twin to explain what I believe are points to indicate how twins interact and are compared.

By doing the Personal Interest Project on twins and the effects of being compared I hope to achieve a better understanding of how being compared between a twin effects others but also the reason why people compare twins.. I wish to understand how other individuals who are twins feel about the connection they share with their siblings to gain a better understanding of the elements of closeness, connection and competition in the relationship I have with my twin sister.

I have a word limit of 500 for the introduction and its way over atm so I'll have to delete and change things to add.
    What does everyone thing?

:)

28. starmaker

Hi Brenda,
    Are you having fun with your family??

Again congrats on your brothers engagement, that must be so exciting!

So far I have survived :rolleyes:
    I have finished all of my exams, I finished the project presentation and I only need to finish the project report, which we (me and rest of projectgroup)will do tomorrow.
    I only need to get the grades of the most important exam, the presentation and after we finish it the grade for the report.
    I passed the other exams but that will mean nothing if I fail some of the project stuff.
    So I am trying to keep my nerves under control and just hope I get the results soon.
    I did have to work the entire weekend, I am exhausted, and that has helped me with the nerves as I haven't had too much time to be nervous.

So I am surviving and finally have some time to post a bit.
    I have so neglected everything(householdchores, my cat, my friends), including twinstuff and you guys :blush:

29. starmaker

Hi Codie, how is the migraine?? Hopefully you are feeling better!
    I like the introduction, it sounds good so far.:)
    No idea what you could remove to get to the word limit but my brain doesn't want to cooperate anymore. I am just to tired, maybe the others are more help than me :blush:

30. Twinrific

I don't have much time to post now but just wanted to say congrats with passing your exams Joyce!! I'll be holding my thumbs for good results on the rest! You really deserve a break ;)

Code I'll read your introductio when I have some more time to give feedback ;)

31. Code

Code Well-Known Member

So far it hasnt returned yet I only just woke up - slept in its almost 10am here oops, I really really really hate them, suffering from them cronic is the worst thing ever it makes me not be able to really do anything yet want to cry with guilt for not being able to do it!

I have no idea what I want to take out either and at this point in time I may just leave it, I seen a girl who went way over in her pip as in like 200 over in the intro and 3000 in central material she didnt finish her last exam question worth 20 marks and still got a mark of 88 out of 100 for the whole course.

32. 1175138

1175138 Active Member

Goodluck with your pip Codie, because everyone is talking about study I will let you know how I did in my exams :). I was freaking out a bit but I ended up with distinctions in both of my law subjects :) I haven't got the results for the commerce yet though. So far I'm beating the twin :p (jokes). We are doing different courses so we can't really compare. Holidays are great I am really not looking forward to all the work ahead of me when I go back to Uni.

Word limits are so frustrating, they are the worst thing about assignments, noone ever seems to give us enough words to fit everything in. Good luck with reducing your word count Codie, I'm sure you'll do fine :)