The bewitching hour!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by megkc03, Jun 23, 2013.

1. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have a very fond memory, and even to this day, at the age of 4 and 5.5, it still rings true!

So, you know the time. Dinner time. Right before the reinforcements come home, if you have any. It usually started between 4/4:30. So I would take each boy, one in each arm, turn on the radio. And dance. And we would dance, and sway, and sway and dance. For a long while. Lol! But! But! It worked! It instantly calmed them down and allowed for some peaceful moments. Lol!

And now that they are older, it's something I still do, and it still makes them(and me) smile. If they fall down...and are crying, throw some music on and dance together. It works wonders! Also, I found that if I was having a bad day, etc, it was an instant mood booster! For everyone involved!!

Do you have any tips on surviving the bewitching hour(s)?!? Feel free to share! I'm sure plenty are going through it as we speak!

2. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

We do the same thing with music! We'll blast the iPods and dance our hineys off!

3. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

An instant mood booster for sure! And great exercise too!

4. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Bath and bedtime, helped. We tried not to leave the house - they got wound up and we got wound up and it wasn't pretty.

5. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The only way my boys could drop their 3rd nap was to take them out every night for 2 weeks. I went to Target and walked around and came home easily 5xs that week.

We also had a loud shhhhing sound we made close to their ears which quieted them instantly. I spent a lot of time shhhhing.

6. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

As soon as they had good head control and for as long as I could carry them both, I would pack them both into the wrap, one on each hip and go a walk, rather a very slow amble as they grew heavier. I would chat and sing to them, we would watch leaves, sun and shade. If the weather was bad I would sing to them and dance with them in the wrap in the house, but going outside worked better for us. The memories of those hours are still very sweet ...

7. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

Just rocking, snuggling, dancing, walking....whatever we needed to do to make them happy for a moment!

8. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We danced too!!!!:). Also rocking or just snuggling, especially if it was a workday;)

Now I do dance parties (great exercise for me!), let them help me cook or we go outside:)