The craziest stomach bug ever.......to me atleast

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Gin Elliott, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Gin Elliott

Gin Elliott Well-Known Member

It started tuesday..he came home fine, played w/his friends then we came in at 5pm so I can start supper he then sat on the chair and said he didnt feel good, then he hardly ate at all, then couldnt stay awake so I put him to bed at 7pm then I checked on him a little bit later he felt just a little warm but not bad..I checked on him again before I went to bed at 11 and still the same..then at 2am he thru up alot in his room. I made a bed in my room for him, an hour later he did it again but he wasnt warm at all. then he stayed home all day, had some milk (all he wanted) he had one bit of toast, later he had some cheese it just a small handful siaid he was fine...then he got into the fruit snack and ate one...and i said got into by himself this was 11 hours after he got sick last I didnt yell cuz I thought he was in the clear well 2 bites he tossed the rest and then walked to his bowl and thru up again...then he had some milk for supper little bit of water thru out the evening and never got sick again..well 4am this morning he thru up agian in bed 14 hours later, then I cleaned him up it wasnt a bunch since he doesnt have much in him then he got up to get a drink w/out me helping him and took to big of a drink went in his room and thru that up right away....he is sitting on the couch now and said his tummy hurts just a little but is acting somewhat normal....I dont know what to think...the only thing differ was he had a tray lunch for the 1st time that day at school someone also brought in cookies for a party and they made pancakes in class...I sumed it up at first as just to much sweets.....but I know that isnt so...what do you think.....He still doesnt want to eat even tho he is hungry....and what to give him to drink can he have 7up like adults....I just dont want to give him milk again...even tho that is what he is keeping down..nurse said most kids cant drink when they are sick......

2. Gin Elliott

well he is almost completely normal other than he wanted to lay down more...I would say he is at 95% back to normal, he had a glass of milk and a handful of cheez it's again and its been 20 min and he said he doesnt need his bowl he feels fine and he is being wild w/the dog....ok so he can only keep cheez its and mile down!!!!!

3. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

If he throws up again, you might want to limit the milk. Dairy is very hard on upset stomachs. The stomach acids are all riled up and will make the milk curdle and sour. As for the pattern of the stomach bug, sounds pretty normal.

4. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

We started Sprite/Coke with vomiting at 4 yrs so I'd say you're fine to do that now. After a whole hour of no vomiting, give tiny sips of Sprite or Coke. After about an ounce (30 mL) in 15 min or so, offer a Saltine cracker or small piece of dry toast (stay away from Ritz or other buttery crackers). Graham crackers are okay for some people but are too much for others. Continue increasing these things very slowly over the course of the day. If vomiting occurs again, start the clock over for another hour of nothing by mouth. Once the crackers/soda combo is sitting okay, you can move to very bland foods (chicken broth with noodles, jello) for the next 24 hours. This allows the stomach to rest. But again, any vomiting and you start back at square one. Hopefully your little one is better now!

5. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

yes for next time avoiding the dairy is a big one. I find just sips of water then to saltine crackers toast chicken nooodle soup usually after 12 hours of not throwing up, hope feeling better now

6. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

awww, poor guy!
    I agree about milk - no milk. BRAT diet -bananas/rice/applesauce/toast

I've been hearing about stomach bugs going around in different states. . . wonder what's up?

7. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

Yep, we always avoided the dairy and they drank tea, water or sprite.

8. CapeBretoner_123

CapeBretoner_123 Well-Known Member

Its sounds like the gastric thing that goes around every year. It dones't last long but a kid can throw up either every 10 seconds or randomly. KNOCK ON LOTS OF WOOD> my kids never got it this year, but lots of others did. Just ease into the normal food, stomach pain can last for about 3 weeks fater this bug.

9. Gin Elliott

Yeah this was the 2nd time I think he had it this year...he was better by the 3rd day completely!!! I so hate when little ones get sick :-(