The evaluation that wasn't. Advice needed

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Oneplus2more, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

This is sort of a follow up. backstory: We met with R's pedi, who reviewed assessments from her teachers and DH & I, pedi said she has "ADD tendencies" and suggested starting her on a medication, but said she could do further testing first if we preferred. DH & I opted to have the complete neuropsych eval done first. I had no idea it would take so long to get her an appointment. Children's Hospital said 7-9 months! I made dozens of calls, finally found someone on our insurance that had immediate availability - "Dr. P"

Dr P had just me in for the first appointment, she said she would have R come in for two two-hour sessions, and then another session with me to discuss. However, after R's first session, she said they didn't get as far as she normally does in Session 1 and there would need to be a third session. Dr P has been extremely unreliable. We have had 5 different appointments scheduled and only two have actually happened. I have pulled R out of school for two of the appoinments that she didn't end up having - one she canceled a few hours before, one she canceled by text 1 minute after it was to start, another she was a no-show for. The no-show was the last one, Nov 20th. I have left her three messages and she hasn't responded. Even if she needed to schedule it a few weeks out for some reason, I would appreciate a call. Of course, the Thanksgiving holiday was in there, and I'm sure she took some time off. However, I don't know what to do now. I'm not sure our insurance will cover a full neuropsych exam by another provider at this point, four hours in. I don't want to call her too often, but I'm so frustrated she hasn't responded. Also, frankly, I'm wondering - would you trust her professional opinion, because she's pretty unprofessional ( not just the canceled appointments, it's her whole demeanor).   :grr:  I guess the fact that she was available immediately and everyone else had months long waits was a red flag. 

Also, we have waited over a month to start the medication recommended by the pedi because we wanted to have the evaluation done first, but now it's not being done and she isn't having the benefit of the meds either. Would you go ahead and start it?

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

That is ridiculous!  I would call the insurance company about what happened and make sure they will cover the cost of a full session with a new provider.  Can the school psychologist do some of this, or recommend someone outside of school without a crazy long wait, and who is reliable enough not to text her patient at the appointment time to cancel.  

5 people like this.
  3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I totally agree with Leighann.  I would also see if the pediatrician can perhaps pull some strings to get her in to see someone sooner.  That doctor sounds very unprofessional.

2 people like this.
  4. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yesterday, right after posting here,  I left her another message on her work voicemail. She is a sole practitioner and doesn't have a receptionist or anything, this time I marked it urgent. A few hours later, I called the number she had sent the texts from - I assume her personal cell, IDK, not the office number. It said the voicemail was full. So I sent her this text: Hi Dr P, please let me know when you can schedule Rachel's last appointment, as you recall, we are waiting to start her medication until the evaluation is finished. Thank you, S   Finally, four hours later - a response! She said: I will see what I have on Monday. That's great, except, she hasn't followed up yet to say if she does have an opening on Monday or not. If she doesn't schedule her for next week by Monday afternoon, I will try your suggestions. 

New question - once she finishes with R and shares the results, will we be pretty much be done with her? Or, would it be an ongoing situation? As much as I wish we had started this process wiht someone else, I do just want to finish up and hear her feedback. I'm wondering if we are looking at those two appoinments only? If so, I think we may as well stay with her, but I'm not sure I can handle a long term relationship with her. 

5. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

{{hugs}}  I can understand how you feel.  Audrey has had two neuro-psych exams with the same doctor and they have gone amazingly well.  I would talk to your pediatrician and insurance and see if they'd cover another complete neuro-psych exam and be rid of this original 'doctor.'  She seems flakey and would you really trust any results she gave you?  I'm sorry you have been going through this. 

6. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

you can also contact the insurance company and tell them not to pay for the appointments because you're not satisfied and then notify Dr. P that you are pulling R from the practice due to her unprofessionalism and inform her you will NOT be paying any bills because you are completely unsatisfied with her services.

7. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

That's a tough one.  The person's eval MIGHT be fine - they might know what they are doing in that respect despite being unprofessional with canceling appointments.  But honestly, I would look for someone else.  See if the school or pedi can give you a referral to get you in quicker.  Do not start meds before an eval - you need a true "baseline" picture if you want a good assessment.

The other option is to ditch the assessment and try the meds to see what happens.  If she was younger, I would be more hesitant to do that, but I see from your signature that she's 10.  One of the worrisome medication side effects for a lot of kids is decreased appetite.  If she is a good eater and decent size/weight for her age, then that impact might not be a huge deal for her.

8. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

The girls eval was done by a therapist as was suggested by the court.  The teachers had to fill out paperwork, i had to do paperwork then she had a few sessions with the therapist

9. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm going through the same thing with Alice, only ours isn't fully covered by insurance.  We start in January, we have a parent only consultation, then they go to her school for a day or two, then meet with Alice.  The following weeks are neuropsych testing (IQ, executive function stuff, and some other stuff) and then they do recommendations for whatever needs to happen.  Then they meet with us, with her, and with the school again.  If it turns out she needs to see a therapist or whatever long-term, we'll find someone that the insurance covers.  In the meantime, we just hope that Alice had a good day.  And by good, not going to the principal's office or arguing with her teacher, and kind of maybe even focusing on what is going on in the classroom instead of just going to the stack of books to read when something is boring.