the half years - isn't 5.5 harder than 5 or 6?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by cheezewhiz24, Apr 3, 2015.

1. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Good Lord, these kids are so... Emotionally fragile. I don't know if it's being 1/2 way through 5, school taking a toll, or what, but one of my kids in particular is moody, defiant, teary, you name it. Tonight he was very disrespectful to me and refused to apologize. So his consequence is to write his apology 5xs. It's been about 2 hours and he's still not done. There was 1:45 of screaming, crying and worrying, but no writing. Now he's back to happy and finally writing, but getting him to actually start is exhausting. I've been able to mirror back his feelings yesterday and today to help bring him back around and it works, but jeez- he is high maintenance right now.

2. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

High five, sister. The drama and emotions as we get closer to six are bonkers. And the procrastination and silliness and defiance and all of it. I am not a very patient mom with 5.5 year olds.

1 person likes this.
  3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I found 5.5 to little past 6 to be high tide for emotions around here.  There are moments of it at 7 (which mine are now) but I do find that the emotional moments are bit more understandable even if they seem to be an overreaction.  

4. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

I'm going through this with one of my kids, too.  His twin has really calmed down and matured quite a bit in the last few months, but him, GOODNESS.  Everything is crying, whining, defiance, meanness, etc.  It's exhausting!!

5. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I think it is the time of year.  Kids are feeling spring and have the energy to need to get outside and burn it off, since they can't, it comes out in their emotions.

Just one work of caution in making a child write for punishment--many times that backfires, and you "create" a child who hates to write.  Even in school, we don't use writing as punishment--loss of privileges is much more effective.  Just some food for thought....

1 person likes this.
  6. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

One of mine has always been like that, every day.  Homework is a nightmare, punishments don't work.  Ritalin is my new best friend. 

7. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That's what my son acts like when he has food dye.  Screaming, crying, and like he cannot control his emotions.  When I pretty much banned food dye, life got better.  

Other than that, I really agree with Sharon.  I work at the kids' school.  All the kids are restless and crazy.  It's spring.  They want to be out and running.  They're over schoolwork. 

Mostly now Timothy is calmer.  But is still needs to get out and be very physical.  It helps him tremendously.  He plays American Ninja Warrior in our trees (he can actually do a salmon ladder type move to go up the branches of the trees).  I just sent him out for a crazy game of fetch with the dog.  I'll send him to walk/run the dog around the neighborhood.  A neighborhood boy comes over and they play basketball for hours.   

The other big thing is Timothy needs to know that I heard him.  When he has an issue, he doesn't always want it solved.  He wants acknowledgement that that is a problem or a frustration and I will listen.  Once he knows I've heard him, it gets better.

Marissa

8. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yes, since it's Spring Break, they have been outside a ton. Riding bikes/scooters, climbing trees, family walks at huge parks, swimming at the rec center. You name it, we've done it! Ordinarily they aren't outside quite so much. 

I don't want them to hate writing, either and had actually taken away privileges prior to having him write. He doesn't love school (neither of my boys does, sadly)- so I will watch that and avoid that punishment. Thank you!

Hmm, this kid seems to have hypoglycemia like my mom. He definitely gets hangry these days... but then eats little at a mealtime, even if it's a food I know he likes. 

I need to do better with listening and acknowledging him. Thank you for the reminder- it's so simple, but it does make a difference.

9. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Interesting you mention hypoglycemia.  When Timothy was little his blood sugar used to drop extremely low at night when he slept.  Some mornings he wouldn't really wake up.  I would get apple juice into him drop by drop and within 30 mins, it was like instant boy running around.   Timothy's behavior and moods definitely get worse when he's hungry.  Right now he's trying to eat everything in sight.  This morning he didn't eat as much breakfast because he was so excited by his basketball cards in his Easter basket.  We were paying for it by lunch time.

Marissa

10. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

For us, the half years were more difficult for the last 3 years and then they settled down after their birthday. I am sincerely hoping that will be the case this year too (they are 5.75 now) because I think the emotions are all over the place and I have a hard time reaching them, I feel like the worst mom sometimes and feel so guilty because I am not enjoying mothering my 5.5 year-olds much.

And I agree that spring plays a big part. If I can get them out of doors and moving for an hour or two after I pick them up everything will be ok, although there will be quite a bit of whining about being tired and hungry when we come indoors. But if it is too rainy for the baby to be out a long time things go downhill very quickly.