The newest, coolest, greatest thing with the gang.

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Kendra, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Who knew they'd love spool knitting. AKA corking aka french knitting.

I'm sure you know what it is.

I bought one this summer for the girls I was watching and neither were very interested so I just put it in my bag of yarn. On Monday one of the kids at work was digging though the yard and found it and its just the greatest thing ever. Who knew? [​IMG]

This is the one I have. but they are doing it weird on that page (I've never seen it as cross pegs, I've always done it going around the way my grandmother taught me and she was taugh by her grandmother)

I looked at Walmart and the one they had was $10! I was like nu huh. I got a really cute one at Zellersfor $4.

Mom is going to look for ours from when we were little and if she can't find them dad is going to make a couple for me. [​IMG]

2. Kendra

Who knew they'd love spool knitting. AKA corking aka french knitting.

I'm sure you know what it is.

I bought one this summer for the girls I was watching and neither were very interested so I just put it in my bag of yarn. On Monday one of the kids at work was digging though the yard and found it and its just the greatest thing ever. Who knew? [​IMG]

This is the one I have. but they are doing it weird on that page (I've never seen it as cross pegs, I've always done it going around the way my grandmother taught me and she was taugh by her grandmother)

I looked at Walmart and the one they had was $10! I was like nu huh. I got a really cute one at Zellersfor $4.

Mom is going to look for ours from when we were little and if she can't find them dad is going to make a couple for me. [​IMG]

3. niftywriter

niftywriter Well-Known Member

I remember those! I was all thumbs as a girl, but my sister was a whiz with that spool knitting1 She had one thatw as very similar to the second one pictured, Kendra...the red one!

I think kids love that sort of thing if they have the dexterity to do it! [​IMG] What a great thing to teach them! [​IMG]

4. Katheryn

Katheryn Well-Known Member

I remember those, too. Very frustrating thing [​IMG]. I never could make anything with it! LOL

5. Kendra

"Its the process not the product" [​IMG]

The kids are only making 3 inch knits at a time now so we are making them into bracelets.

6. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

I must have grown up under a rock. What the heck are those? I don't ever remember having one. Maybe I was just deprived. [​IMG]

7. Kendra

That new yellow one is fast. I don't like the quality of the knit that comes out though.

Poor poor deprived Kim.

8. JenJefLog

JenJefLog Well-Known Member

I had one of the wooden thimble ones too. My dad made it for me. And I remember I had a spool of variegated color thread so my long crocheted thing was a rainbow. Actually, I got something like that for Christmas a couple years ago (I asked for it), but I haven't gotten around to using it!

9. Kendra

Jennifer! Use it! Your girls are right at the age where they'd love it too. The rainbow thread is the best. Our dollar store has a fuzzy yarn too and for the price you can't beat it.

When I was at my grandmother's on Tuesday I mentioned that the kids were loving it she went and got my mothers from when she was little. (she knew exactly where it was, weird though the hook for it wasn't there, grandma was preparing to tear her sewing cabinent apart but I told her it was ok [​IMG] I've found an opened bobby pin works great!) I took it to work and told the kids they could use it but they had to be very very careful because its very very very old. [​IMG] (I suppose I should add that the sub I had in today is 8 months older than my mom [​IMG] )

10. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

quote:
    I must have grown up under a rock. What the heck are those? I don't ever remember having one. Maybe I was just deprived.

You and me both, Kim! [​IMG]