The poops

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Rollergiraffe, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Believe it or not, I haven't dealt with diarrhea since the dreaded rotavirus Easter of 2011. Ozzy has been having stomach cramping and kind of watery stuff for a couple of days. When do I get concerned/take him to the doctor? I have been trying to feed him stuff that's a bit easier on his stomach, and getting some yogurt into him.

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Poor kiddo.  I'm still scarred by my run in with rotovirus right after christmas 2010... and my profession revolves about gastrointestinal disorders.  

Is he staying hydrated (ice pops, applesauce, juice, water, pedialyte, etc)?  I think hydration is more important than eating... unless he is hungry and then I would follow the BRAT diet until the cramping is gone.    Is the stomach cramping relieved by going to the bathroom?  Is he acting normal otherwise?  Does the poop smell like rotovirus :)bad:)?  

If the cramping isn't relieved by going to the bathroom, or if he is lethargic and sickly, I would call the doctor and see how long you should expect this virus to last... and at what point you should take him in if necessary.  

:hug:

3. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I would also keep an eye out for dehydration and lethargy.  Other than that, it's just got to run its course unfortunately. 

4. Rollergiraffe

He's active otherwise, eating well. I have been offering lots of water and everything. It's definitely not comparable to rota (OMG, that was the WORST). He was complaining of a sore stomach yesterday, and then I think he had gas, and had a few episodes. Today, same thing. Maybe if it doesn't go away in a few days I'll call the doctor.

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

In addition to the BRAT diet, hydration and what Leighann and Kate had said, I'd also try a Children's Pepto Bismol tablet or Gel-U-Sil.  That seems to help my kids with cramping and gassiness when their bellies are upset.  And, if it does go on too long for your liking, call the doctor.  Hope he feels better soon!

6. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

make sure its Kids pepto though and not adult pepto - adult pepto has aspirin in it.

1 person likes this.
  7. Rollergiraffe

Now both of them have it... It was a lonnnng night. But, they were excited to have ginger ale for breakfast! They don't have school today becauses the morning class is on a field trip, and they're supposed to go tomorrow. It's going to suck if they can't go. We will see how things go today.

8. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Well, now that the other has it, it's obvious that it's a virus and not food related and that it'll just have to run it's course.  :bad:
    I give my two children's tums (same as children's pepto) when their stomachs feel churny and with Alice that's quite frequently.  I figure it's also calcium so it's not too harmful.