The school put the kids in the same classroom...

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Fran27, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

SIGH. They were split last year, as I asked, but they put them together this year. What are they thinking, seriously? Couldn't they take two minutes to check, or even call me? I'm annoyed because I got those letters at 5.30pm on Friday of a long week end, and they are starting on Wednesday, so basically I have to deal with that on Tuesday first thing in the morning...

Has it happened to anyone else?

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have not heard of that happening, especially against a parents request.  The norm I hear from teachers (including my own SIL) is that parents still want the twins together despite the school's suggestion they be apart.  Once I heard there was going to be two first grades, I called the secretary and spoke to the kindergarten teacher...and spoke to the secretary again to make sure they knew I wanted them apart. 
    I am sorry that you have to make the extra phone calls to get this resolved.  I'll let you know if my kids are definitely separated on Friday (we start Thursday)...I will be upset if they are not.

3. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

My first thing would be to ask why.  It may be that the teachers grouped them together for a reason, like they grouped by ability, and they happened to end up together.  If it is an academic reason, I would let it go--I mean how do you pick which child would move into a class that they really don't belong in.  Not saying that that is the reason, but you never know.  It may have been an accident as well--sometimes that happens--a lot goes into the makeup of a class, that most aren't aware of.  Our school district allows for very little "picking" of classes, teachers, etc. because they found that too many requests led to classes that didn't really work.

4. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I would ask why they did it.  Maybe they had a specific reason?  That would be strange for them to place twins together otherwise...

5. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Just to update, they were great and changed it right away!

1 person likes this.
  6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Good to hear Fran! 

7. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

you're lucky.  At K registration I specifically requested the twins to be separated.  Notes made in their file and everything.  5 months later when the letters came they were in the same classroom.  I went to the school to fight it and was told "so sorry we lost your request but we're not in the business of changing assignments - we'll change in next year". 

sucked that year but we dealt.  I'm glad your principal was more forgiving.

8. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Oh wow I would have been so mad, probably called the school district and everything... I'm sorry!