The Today Show says that 20% of kids under age TWO

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by dtlyme, Mar 26, 2008.

?

Do you have a TV in your children's/child's room?

1. Nope!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Other (please explain)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

the kids have one in the playroom, which is also the room Brandon sleeps in, but I still voted no as I don't allow TVs in the children's real bedrooms. The boys are just seperate until they outgrow naps and it's not a 'bedroom'.
    Berkley started asking for one before Christmas last year and I keep telling her "no!!!"

2. first_second_and_last

first_second_and_last Well-Known Member

Nope and I don't anticipate changing that anytime soon.

3. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

QUOTE(TwinLove @ Mar 26 2008, 01:15 PM) [snapback]688422[/snapback]
    nope, my two don't have one in their room and I don't plan on putting one in there. We have four TV's right now, so I don't think they NEED one in their room. Even when they get older I don't see a need. I remember having one when I lived with my parents and I wouldn't go to sleep until late because I would watch TV after my parents went to sleep. :pardon:

me too. . . with cable!!!
    To this day I'm a night owl and my sister can't sleep w/o the TV on. It's a terrible habit.

I won't post how many TV we have but suffice it to say they don't need one! LOL!

4. Orestia

Orestia Well-Known Member

No TV in their room. Ever. And, when the time comes, no computers with internet hookups in their room. Of course by the time our girls are in HS everything will probably be completely wireless and they'll just steal the neighbor's signal. Sigh.

5. JennaPa

JennaPa Well-Known Member

We don't have a TV in our bedroom and the kids won't either - ever. We have one in the family room and one in the playroom. That's enough TV for everyone.

6. a1cbrandy

a1cbrandy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(HT @ Mar 26 2008, 11:46 AM) [snapback]688252[/snapback]
    My DD got a tv in her room at 2 1/2, but only because we turned our guest room into the twins' room and we needed to put the tv somewhere. However, it isn't hooked up to cable and it doesn't have an antenna so she can't watch anything except dvds and tapes. We also have her Clickstart computer hooked up to it which she frequently plays while I'm getting dressed in the am. She is now 3 1/2 and rarely takes naps, but I still send her to her room for a rest while she watches a movie.

THANK you..I am so glad to know I am not the only "bad parent" here. LOL

I was seriously feeling like a loser with all the "NO WAY" and stuff...but I guess my kids and my DH and I are a little spoiled with our TV time. hehe

Also my kids are home right now and playing outside instead of watching their TV. I am proud that they have the choice and choose the "better" choice for themselves.

There are ways to make it work without making it a horrible addiictive system.

Brandy

7. Erykah

Erykah Well-Known Member

None of my children have or will ever have TV's in their bedrooms. They don't watch that much tv ever to warrant that.

8. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

QUOTE(a1cbrandy @ Mar 26 2008, 02:29 PM) [snapback]688458[/snapback]

I was seriously feeling like a loser with all the "NO WAY" and stuff...but I guess my kids and my DH and I are a little spoiled with our TV time. hehe

Also my kids are home right now and playing outside instead of watching their TV. I am proud that they have the choice and choose the "better" choice for themselves.

I don't think anyone was saying you are a "bad parent", it's a personal choice. My parents certainly aren't bad parents, and anyone who would say that is just going overboard.

9. blessedby2

blessedby2 Well-Known Member

We never had tv's in our rooms growing up, and I don't plan on giving them to my kids either. If they want to watch tv, they can watch it will all of us - and so I can see what they are watching - besides keeping an eye on how much time they are watching it too. This is a surprising statistic for kids under 2.

10. bridgeport

bridgeport Well-Known Member

Although I posted that ours don't have one in their room and I don't plan on ever letting them, I definitely don't think anyone whose kids have tv in their room are bad parents!!!! I know all the studies, but I just really don't worry about tv much. I just know that for me it's easy to sit and watch tv rather than go to bed, and I don't want that for my kids. I don't have anything against tv otherwise; I just prefer it to be someplace other than their bedroom.

Although I never had a tv in my bedroom growing up, it was always on in our family room, and I could always go into my parents room and watch if I wanted. DH, on the other hand, grew up in a house where the tv was strictly controlled...only so many minutes a day/week, etc. Guess who is the tv addict now? DH of course. Yes, I still watch a lot, too, but he's the one who has to have it on every night in bed, etc. So we're going to try to emulate my experience rather than his: tv is a-okay, just not for the kiddos bedroom.

11. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

No TVs in any of the kids rooms. My rule is that they can have a tv when they buy their own. They will also have to pay for their own cable as well.

12. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

No way. The only time I ever had a TV in my bedroom was in college! My parents had a TV in the living room and that's it, and so do we.

We do, however, watch TV and movies on DH's laptop in our bed, which wasn't an option available to my parents. I assume when the girls are old enough to have laptops, they'll probably do that too, but that whole computer thing is a scary situation that I'm not ready to think about yet. :icon_eek:

13. bridgeport

bridgeport Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Minette @ Mar 26 2008, 02:14 PM) [snapback]688558[/snapback]
    but that whole computer thing is a scary situation that I'm not ready to think about yet. :icon_eek:

DITTO!! DH and I have discussed the computer/internet issue many times and still don't know how we're going to handle it!! Maybe we should do a spinoff for advice on that one.

14. avaoliviamom

avaoliviamom Well-Known Member

No they do not and I do not foresee them ever having one.

15. mom_stacyX2

mom_stacyX2 Well-Known Member

When I first put the babies room together, I did put a TV with a DVD player in their room. It was an extra TV we had and I assumed they could watch DVD's in there. It has never been used, and I removed it about 6m ago because I never used it. I may move it back when they start to stay up later, or start wanting to play video games.

I think having a TV in a bedroom or playroom serves the same purpose. Growing up we didn't have PLAYROOMs. It was either the livingroom TV or a TV in your bedroom (for game systems or movies). Growing up, we played in the livingroom (and the adults had the TV on) or in our bedrooms (where our games and movies were).

16. brianamurnion

brianamurnion Well-Known Member

QUOTE(a1cbrandy @ Mar 26 2008, 12:29 PM) [snapback]688458[/snapback]

Brandy

Oh heck no I do not think you are a bad parent! I know lots of kids who do have TVs in their rooms and guess what... their parents are all of my best friends! I guess maybe I shouldnt have said "heck no" but I did! :p Anyway I just dont want my kids to become dependant on watching it to fall asleep, since there will not always be TVs everywhere we travel, and we are on the go alot. KWIM? But if that is how your kids fall asleep... MORE POWER TO YA'!! I am all for as much sleep as possible! I know Kate on Jon and Kate plus8 has a TV in her kids' room and I am sure that is the one and only way they could get everyone to sleep at the same time.

17. lleddinger

lleddinger Well-Known Member

My SD's are 14 and 17 and they don't have TV's in their room.. DH has always felt that it took away from family time. They didn't even have cable until I came along and corrupted them!

18. a1cbrandy

a1cbrandy Well-Known Member

Sorry the whole "bad parent" comment was a joke. :) LOL

I am pretty confident in my parenting skills...(sometimes) lol

Brandy

19. rayelynn

rayelynn Well-Known Member

I haven't read through all of the posts, since my kids just woke up from their nap. They have a tv in their room, but it only plays videos. It isn't hooked up to the satellite and it doesn't have an antenna.

20. Username

Username Well-Known Member

nope! There will never be one in a bedroom, but we have a tv in the basement. no cable though so it's not good for much.

21. 2boysforus

2boysforus Well-Known Member

Nope! DH had a TV in his round around age 10 or so and that makes me squeemish! I didn't get my first TV until DH bought me one in college when we were dating! :laughing:

22. Jennifer P

Jennifer P Well-Known Member

I guess I'm another "bad parent". We have a TV and a DVD Player in their room. We only let them watch when it is naptime and want to wind them down and then turn it off before tucking them in and so they don't fall asleep to the TV. They also have never watched tv in their room before going to sleep at night. I refuse to do that.

Since we will be moving them to "a big girl bed" soon (they are going to share our queen bed, since we got a new bed), I'm not sure what we are going to do with the tv. We might just move it out, not sure yet though.

Btw...my girls would rather go outside than watch tv, love books and only weigh 25lbs.

23. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

Nope. And they never will. We believe strongly that TVs in the bedroom interfere with sleep. We don't have a TV in our room and never will. The bedroom is for sleeping and playing (kids) or sleeping and sex (us :blush: ). We leave the TV in the living room.

24. HT

HT Well-Known Member

My 3 1/2 DD is one of them that has a tv in her room, but it ONLY gets used for tapes and dvds during rest time since she doesn't nap anymore. She doesn't watch any tv before bed (we read books and listen to music) plus she would never sit upstairs watching tv by herself by choice at this age - she's all about "play with me"! She would always choose playing outside over tv, but the weather is still cold here and I can't take the babies outside to watch her - they are already sick all the time! And my 1 year old twins have never been put in front of the tv to watch anything so far - not on purpose, they would just rather be playing. My older DD has never been good about playing by herself or with any toy longer than 15-20 mins.

I guess I don't understand the huge problem with older kids watching some television anyway. I had a tv in my room when I was in middle school. I didn't need it to fall asleep and I didn't lay in bed watching it until all hours of the night - in fact it was usually reading that kept me up until 1 or 2 in the morning.

25. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

My babies do not have a tv in their room but all 3 of my older boys do.

26. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

I voted other B/C they DO have a TV in their room but THEY NEVER WATCH IT!. We got Dish installed and they could not put it in our master so it had to go in the kids room. Honestly I cant remember when the tv was last on in there, heck it might not even be plugged in but we wanted 2 tv's with dish incase DH and I wanted to watch something different.