They don't call me "mom" or anything even close!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by happyfor2, Jan 22, 2009.

1. happyfor2

happyfor2 Well-Known Member

Neither one of my boys call me anything even remotely close to Mom or Momma and I must admit it is making me a little sad! I was thinking about it especially last night when my one son Nicholas said as plain as day "Hi Da" to my husband with the biggest grin on his face. I know the "M" sound is harder than the "D" sound (so they say) but I guess I'm just eager to hear them say at least something close to Momma. Now I know, some day when they are both screaming "Mommy" I will be rethinking these thoughts but for now I would like to at least hear something that sounds like Mom. Sometimes I think they call me "Da" too. If I'm in another room they will yell "Da". Maybe they think both my husband and I are "Da".

Is anyone else experiencing the same thing? When did your kids starting saying "Mom"?

Thanks for reading!

2. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

They will for sure!! :hug: My girls weren't saying anything close to mommy or daddy at that point. It will come!! :hug:

3. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

It will come. My SIL & brother have a girl who is just over a year (bd in Sept) and when they ask her to say 'momma' she will smile and say 'dada!' How is that for defient! It'll come!

4. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

My boys didnt call me anything utnil they were almost 2 yrs old. I didnt think it was ever gonna happen .. but it does ! Hang in there. :)

5. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

:hug: They will!! I know it's hard to wait! But they will!!!

6. Buttercup1

Buttercup1 Well-Known Member

No one says "mommy" here either <_< It's always "diddy, diddy, hi diddy" Makes me sad too. But I am sure it will come eventually.

7. 3greysandamutt

3greysandamutt Well-Known Member

I have one daddy boy and one mommy boy! :lol: AJ says mama or mom-mom all the time, and dada very rarely. Benny, however, CAN say mama - I've heard it! - but says 'Daa' or 'daa-ie' or 'dada' all day long!!! Whenever he hears a noise outside, he calls 'daa?' and goes crawling for the front door. He has even started picking up my phone and saying, 'Hi Daa!' and he will wave at DH and say 'hi daa-ie!' It's so cute to watch... but it would be nice if he tossed in a 'hi mama' every once in a while! :lol:

8. Anne-J

Anne-J Well-Known Member

I find it ironically funny that most kids will go "dada" or "daddy" first, when we're the ones who do all the work. It's not fair! ;)

They will be screaming "Mommyyyyyyyyyyy" soon enough... when you step into the bath, pick up a book to read, are JUST falling asleep, and then you'll be muttering "NOW what?" :lol:

9. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

:hug: :hug: They definitely will though! My guys talk up a storm (even Kev who gets Speech Therapy) about their "Mommy" so it will definitely happen! I know it's hard to feel "second" best to daddy sometimes... but you aren't because YOU ARE MOMMY! There is nothing like you in your boys' eyes! :hug:

10. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

Mine have said dada for a long time and now say daddy. They have only recently started saying mama and it's usually only when they are not feeling well or really want something and it's more like maaaaaaaaaaa-maaaaaaaaaaaa! It'll happen.

11. annelily2000

annelily2000 Well-Known Member

Mine have said dada for a long time and now say daddy. They have only recently started saying mama and it's usually only when they are not feeling well or really want something and it's more like maaaaaaaaaaa-maaaaaaaaaaaa! It'll happen.

same here. SOmetimes I get upset about it and will say things like I wonder if you will ever say momma and dh will ask me why I am jealous. Knowing dand good and well if the roles were reversed his feelings would be hurt too. They have even said daddy.

12. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

Daddy is a big hit around here! I get called dada sometimes too. I thought they were saying "ma" but when I taught them sign language, it turns out they were saying "milk" and "more". sigh.

I think they say Dad first b/c we're always saying "Daddy's coming home" or pushing the word more than we do "mama". It's our selfless nature! :)

13. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

Mine call me Daddy along with their daddy. <_< Oh Well.

14. Grandma2TwinBoys

Grandma2TwinBoys Well-Known Member

My DD and her kids are currently living with us, so there is no "Dada" in the picture right now (at least not physically, they do "talk" to him on the phone) so you'd think the twins would say "Mama" fairly quickly, right? Not so. One of the twins just started saying Mama on a regular basis within the past month and actually realizing that his mom IS Mama (as opposed to just making the random Mama sound at the right time). The other twin doesn't call her anything yet. I'm not sure he's even said Mama yet at all.

Funny though, both boys learned to say Poppa several months ago and yell it out as soon as they see their grandfather, which makes this grandmother very jealous, ha! We've tried to get the boys to call me Grammy but that's a bit harder word of course. Just this week we started getting a consistent "Gogo" out of one of twins when he identifies me, so at least that's something. Heck I'd rather be Gogo than "hey you"! :p

It's frustrating waiting for their speech development, isn't it?!? It's just so fun when they "get it"! Hang in there ... soon you'll be wondering where their darn "off" button is!

15. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

See I never said Da Da to my girls so their first word was ma ma for both of them. Only then did I start to say "here comes da da" or "where's da da" I think they learn dada first because the mothers are saying it more often than the husbands do. So just keep saying it all the time and they will eventually get it or you will get tired of saying it ....