They dont listen?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Island, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Island

Island Active Member

Its very frustrating. I know they understand me when I tell them to 'stop that' or 'no more' or 'dont touch'..
    But they will do it again and again anyway.

they love to help un pack the dishwasher... I dont allow it (and i never have) because there are sharp knives ect in it... but every time i un pack it (which can be several times a day) they have to try.

if i have to tell them not to touch more than three times i physically move them to another spot and demand they dont come near it again.
    I try offering alternatives "Go and draw me a picture" "go do a puzzle" "why dont you try to find the cat and say hello to her!"
    apparently whatever I am doing is always much more interesting?

its not just the dishwasher, its everything!

what can i do? They just dont listen.

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

At this age, it's hard to get them to listen. I had to do a lot (I mean, a lot) of redirecting. And I really had to stock up on patience. I would say being consistent is the key...you might not see an instant payoff but it will payoff at some point.
    As for the dishwasher, can they help load and unload all the "safe" dishes and utensils? My friend's youngest is obsessed with the dishwasher (she's not quite two yet) and my friend will let her take out the safe stuff and "help" put it away.

3. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Listening does not seem to be getting better here. My kids loved helping me take dishes/etc out of the dishwasher. What I did first was to take out all the sharp knives. Then it was fine! Try to guide them towards what you would like them to do but get the dangerous stuff out of the way first! :)

4. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

I know how you feel - my boys are pretty much the same way, and I usually end up just redirecting or asking them to "help" me do something else that will distract them or get them away from what they shouldn't be doing. Our kitchen is still gated off, so they can't get to the dishwasher unless I choose to let them, so that helps, but they still find tons of stuff to mess with that they know is a no-no.